Glamorous Wardrobe Makeover

Confession: Because I’m a naughty blogger I forgot to take a real ‘before’ pic so the above robe is just a comparable one I found on-line. The actual robe I madeover was in way worse shape than this one though and didn’t have any mirrors or a head plinth but you get the idea, right?

Having come straight from the tip the finish on the robe was weathered almost dry (not in the nice silver coastal way though, more in the cruddy “I’ve-been-in-landfill-for-the-past-two-months” way) so it was pretty easy to take it right back to raw timber with a light sand.
Having a raw base gave me a few finishing options so rather than just paint it black, I instead chose to apply two coats of an ebony timber stain.

The rich semi-transparent stain allows the timber grain to peek through here and there which gives the robe a rustic, antiquated elegance.

To compliment the commanding black base and add a unique touch, I highlighted the corners and grooves with a genuine copper pigment paint which, after first trying to apply with a brush, I eventually figured out was easiest rubbed on using my finger.

I rarely use gloss sealers though in this case, to create some extra impact and formalise the rusticness of the transparent stain, it works perfectly.

Finally, the handles, escutcheons and key were coated in the copper pigment paint for that finishing touch.

TIP: Painted metal can scratch easily so for some added resilience bake it in the oven after each coat. The heat helps set and bond the paint and, whilst not fool-proof, will strengthen the finish some what.

1. oh my goodness! that is astonishingly beautiful. i LOVE the legs and the finish. it’s gorgeous!! i think my whole house might fit inside of it, too. ;)
    thanks for the tip about baking metal that is painted.

2. Andrea says:

Gorgeous!!!
    I have used silver leaf/paint and have also found using my finger works best. How do you get these great pieces of furniture? I have never seen a wardrobe like that before. Beautiful!

3. It looks absolutely gorgeous. What a fabulous piece and I love the ebony stain. Well done. Hugs, Marty

4. Kristine,

I love the bones of this piece. The copper accents are beautiful (and I LOVE LOVE LOVE black)!!!

Lovely as usual!

:) Laura

5. Allison says:

That is fabulous! Fantastic job bringing that beauty back to life!

6. Kristine you have done a fabulous job with this piece. Can’t believe thats a stain. Love the images of your clothes & riding boots in the picture. Have a great weekend Sandy

7. That is very glamorous!

8. This is Fabulous, I love the color too. Beautiuful job!

9. Wow, looks wonderful, cheers katherine

10. Kerry says:

ooh la la…that is very beautiful. what an amazing job you’ve done!

11. Beautiful! You did a fabulous job!

12. Tina says:

Oh I love what you have done to this beauty Kristine! Love the stain:) It is wonderful to have you back:) Hope you have a lovely weekend ~ Tina xx

13. Sarah B says:

Wowza, that looks darn brilliant! What a clever lady!

14. Wow! I love it! Fabulous job. It looks amazing!

15. Oh…I love how this turned out. So elegant…it looks like it would be backstage at a old vaudeville show…and that is a good thing!

16. Gorgeous as usual Kristine, love your makeovers.
    Have a great weekend.
    Donnaxx

17. Kristine, it’s beautiful! I love the copper paint touches, too. I had no idea about using the oven to help set the paint on metal.

18. What a fabulous piece of furniture. I love that. I love the way you stained it. Looks like a magazine shot with the doors opened.

19. Tara says:

This is dreamy..Love it..

20. I was just browsing your blog coming over via Finding Fabulous, and I must say this wardrobe closet is stunning. You have such good taste in everything you do. I love the gloss finish on it, just gives it the glam it needed!

21. Ooooooie! Lovely! Great tip on baking the painted metal!

22. How gorgeous! I just love your before and afters. You have inspired me to make a trip to rummage through the tip shop! Hope your having a great weekend. Michelle

23. Beautiful! New to the blog world and have been so inspired by all the sites I’ve visited. Will be looking back at yours more for sure!! Great job!

24. Jenny says:

Hi Kristine, great makeover, very french provincial!

25. Ginger says:

Wow! I love it! I think it turned out wonderful!

26. astrid says:

Black furniture are beautiful and the antique finish is modern touch. I love it. Your fotos are great.
    Greetings!

27. Sharlotte says:

Wow, what a gorgeous piece! I love all the curves and space! Thanks for sharing.
    Sharlotte

28. Craft Envy says:

That’s gorgeous! I love what you did with it! Thanks for linking up!

29. mle says:

What a stunning piece!! Love how you finished it and the metal looks great!

30. GORGEOUS! No other word for it! Great job! Thanks for visiting us at our Anything Related party!
    {Rebekah}

31. Hi. You probably receive these ALL the time but I have passed on an award to you. Just thought I’d mention it :) Love your work.

32. Atticmag says:

What a terrific makeover. It’s the perfect color and style for the lines of the piece. Hope you’ll stop by and see us.

33. Staci J says:

That looks amazing!! I lOVE the copper handles. Visiting from justsewsassy.com

34. GREAT job!

35. Sue says:

Really nice job of re-finishing this piece! Sometimes, stain actually does a better job than paint. Love the copper paint on the hardware- so unique. Visiting from F&J’s party.
    :-) Sue

36. Oh my, what an amazing piece! The transformation is amazing – I want one! Thanks so much for linking this up as well.

Chelsea

37. What a cool piece of furniture! I LOVE black furniture! Thanks for sharing at the PoPP.

38. I love what you did here…so chic, it’s fabulous!

39. Wow what an amazing piece of furniture. I love the finishing technique – simply gorgeous! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase. Hope you have a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

40. Wow! This looks terrific!
    I am just fixing to paint my dining room table and chairs! Wish me luck, I hope it turns out as good as yours!
    Leticia

41. Shaunna says:

Somehow I missed this!! It’s absolutely gorgeous and I love the ebony stain! Great choice and thanks for linking up! Oh, and you can win…if you’re out of town, Lauren’s going to answer your questions/give you a creative photography and editing “class!” I was looking out for ya. :) shaunna

42. Oh my I’m in awe of you! This is an amazing piece and what you’ve done has made it more amazing!