Confession: Because I’m a naughty blogger I forgot to take a real ‘before’ pic so the above robe is just a comparable one I found on-line. The actual robe I madeover was in way worse shape than this one though and didn’t have any mirrors or a head plinth but you get the idea, right?

Having come straight from the tip the finish on the robe was weathered almost dry (not in the nice silver coastal way though, more in the cruddy “I’ve-been-in-landfill-for-the-past-two-months” way) so it was pretty easy to take it right back to raw timber with a light sand.
Having a raw base gave me a few finishing options so rather than just paint it black, I instead chose to apply two coats of an ebony timber stain.

The rich semi-transparent stain allows the timber grain to peek through here and there which gives the robe a rustic, antiquated elegance.

To compliment the commanding black base and add a unique touch, I highlighted the corners and grooves with a genuine copper pigment paint which, after first trying to apply with a brush, I eventually figured out was easiest rubbed on using my finger.

I rarely use gloss sealers though in this case, to create some extra impact and formalise the rusticness of the transparent stain, it works perfectly.

Finally, the handles, escutcheons and key were coated in the copper pigment paint for that finishing touch.

TIP: Painted metal can scratch easily so for some added resilience bake it in the oven after each coat. The heat helps set and bond the paint and, whilst not fool-proof, will strengthen the finish some what.