Starburst Twig Wreath

If you’ve read this blog more than just once you probably know I have a bit of a thing for using natural elements to decorate my home, and for a budget-savvy gal like me, there’s no better way of introducing this textural earthiness to a space than via a great-outdoors scavenger hunt. So, until money grows on trees, I’m taking my free share of what already does…twigs that is.

This starburst inspired wreath was basically free and super-duper fast and easy to make.

Fortunately for me, where I live there’s no shortage of sticks just lying around…

…and after collecting my pile – with a bit of help (or hindrance, more like)…

…I broke them down into similar sized lengths.

I then cut a disk from an old cereal box to create my base. I figured the twigs wouldn’t completely cover and hide it so I wrapped it in twine which gives it extra rigidity as well as a nice, rustic look.

Using a hot glue gun, I worked in sections to attach my sticks to the twine covered disk, building them up where necessary to create a pleasing wreath shape.

To finish, I simply tied a length of twine around the central disk to create a hanging loop.

I like to use decorative upholstery tacks to hang stuff like this.

My little wreath is a bit random and unstructured, and whilst not for everyone, I like the rustic appeal of it. The great thing about a project like this is you can make it as neat or as messy, big or small, bulky or sparse as you like!

1. This is awesome!

2. I LOOOOOOVE this wreath! I can actually make that wreath without having to go to the store to buy anything. LOVE it! Thanks for sharing!

3. Lisa says:

Wow! This is so pretty! I love that you just used nature to create it!

4. I love this…My home is very rustic on the outside and would fit it well!!

5. L.A. says:

Kristine! I love this. One more thing to add to my weekend project list. I actually think I will make this this weekend!

6. I’m so borrowing this idea! this would make a huge statement behind my Fall mantle vignette. I think if I cut some of the bottom twigs more straight it would stand up. I’m hoping so anyway!

I’m visiting from Somewhat Simple and your newest follower! Visit me at http://www.illgetyoumypretties.blogspot.com

7. Suesan says:

I love this wreath. I keep thinking I’m going to make some wreaths, and this one actually inspires me to get on that.

Come check out what I’ve been doing at http://froufrugal.blogspot.com

8. Erika says:

I can’t get over how gorgeous this is! My fam just collected some sticks last night for some random projects but I think we will have to make one of these first! Seriously, love it :)

9. I think it’s way cool! I too love the rustic look. Very creative.

10. M.O.T.B says:

SOOOOO cool! I love it. I always love making my own wreaths. This is one idea I might have to copy one day.

11. C.R.A.F.T. says:

lovely! i posted you on the C.R.A.F.T. facebook page!!

12. Annastacia says:

Wow this is absolutely gorgeous! Totally brilliant and so pretty, I’m thinking my bedroom needs one :)

13. Kathy says:

This is wonderful -just think if it was in the PB catalog how much this would sell For?

14. L.A. says:

Hey Kristine-I wasn’t lying. Look what I made today

Thanks for the inspiration. I think I’ll make one for every season!

15. Delia says:

This wreath is really my style. I love it. Thanks for sharing your creativity with us!

16. Kathy says:

quick easy and cheap! my kind of project. this is a terrific idea….maybe one could spray paint it white for winter or black for Halloween,…etc…

17. Lori says:

I’m featuring this over at Life As Lori… If you would like to stop by and grab my I was featured button please do so…

This is so cute.

18. Julie says:

very nice. I may just have to try this!

19. Kimberlee says:

Saw your feature on Get Your Craft on Thurs. What a great way to use outdoor elements in such a decorative way!
    ~Kimberlee

20. Hi Kristine: I wanted to let you know that I have featured this project on my blog for my post revealing my August bookmarks. Wonderful job.

21. farm chick says:

I love this idea, I had to post about it on my blog:

22. Jamie says:

I LOVE this idea SO much. I’m totally going out and finding twigs/branches today! (or maybe tomorrow. But at least this week!)

23. Heather B says:
  24. Melody says:

I made the starburst wreath and added leaves and berries to the center. This gave it a Christmas touch. Thanks for the idea!

25. Rustic perfection! Love it

26. Love the simplicity of this. Just figured out what to put on my kitchen wall – thanks!

27. Incredible~ I love this wreath! What a great idea!! Might have to borrow that one! Stopping by from Funky Junks. :)

28. Kolein says:

I’ll be making about 3 or 4 dozen of these for my house. Why? I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO EASY. CHEAP, ehem, I MEAN, INEXPENSIVE. and GORGEOUS!!!

visiting from Donna’s SNS!!!

~Kolein

29. GREG says:

Loved the sunburst wreath.It really goes great with primitive decor and looks great hanging just about anywhere.Great job. Here is a fun project you might like http://handmadecraftsbyzz.blogspot.com/p/eartlooms.html

30. Abbi says:

What a great idea! I love simple but cool projects and this one is that for sure!

31. Awesome idea, love the look. Another simple decoration complements of mother nature and your talents.

32. Susan Graham says:

Hi, hope all is well with you.Looking forward to you updating your adorable blog soon.

33. I love your wreath! I linked it to my “wreaths” project post too – amazing!!!

34. Miss G says:

This is fantastic!! Kelly

35. Lesley says:

I loved this on your blog so much that I had to try it myself. Can’t say mine looks as good, but I have a picture on my blog at: http://midmodredo.com/first-christmas.

Cheers and Thanks!
    Lesley

36. That is just totally awesome. It rains branches in my yard so I am definitely going to try this. I may just cover a blank CD instead of cutting out something else…we’ll see how it works!

37. Marci says:

I just came across this beautiful wreath on pinterest and created one for myself. You can check it out at http://www.timberandlace.blogspot.com. Thanks for sharing your creativity with the rest of us (and the details on how to create our own.)

38. mitzi says:

So simple, I am going to try this RIGHT now! Thanks for the great tutorial!

39. LOVE this! I have a similar wreath made of recycled magazines on the interior but need something for the exterior and this will be perfect! Thanks : )

40. Misi says:

Awesome idea. Thank you for sharing

41. Linda :) says:

Love your wreath. I linked it on my blog since you were my inspiration. If you want to see how mine turned out it’s over at

Blessings,
    Linda

42. Anonymous says:

All the trees where I live are new so I can’t get branches. I had the kids go get some tumble weeds from the vacant lot next door. I hope it works :)

43. Daisy says:

Beautiful! I must copy it! Maybe a few smaller versions for the kids to make for the Xmas tree! Thanks for sharing your art.

44. Rebekah says:

Kristine, I love your blog and your wreath tutorial. I made one myself and mentioned you in my post – thought you might be delighted to see how your inspiration spreads across the world :)

45. Anonymous says:

Thank you so much for a great tutorial. I am really getting back into making crafts and your stick wreath was one of my first. Thanks also for the inspiration to be creative. Here is a link to the one I made: http://www.flickr.com/photos/69350208@N08/sets/72157627895951129/

46. amanda says:

I found this about three days ago on pinterest and went straight out and bought a stirafoam wreath wrapped it in jute and it is now 1am in the morning and i just went outside and cut abunch of twigs off a apple tree in my yard and am now sitting on my kitchen floor glueing it together i know im nuts but i just couldnt wait so hopefully by morning it will be hanging on my front door…

47. Amanda, you are a girl after my own heart! Not crazy at all :-)
    Isn’t it great when you can create something from nearly nothing when you’re at home at 1am and feel like being crafty?
    Send me a pic when it’s hanging on your door.

48. Connie Murphree Bilger says:

I am redoing my bathroom in a hurry. I have decided on light teal walls, and the wreath, perhaps enhanced with white will pop! Thank you.

49. Lynn White says:

I have been looking for a winter wreath idea to replace my Christmas one. This is perfect, and will spray it white so it will show up on my grey door. I loved looking at all the variations on your idea. Thanks!

50. pam says:

Just found this on Michele’s wreath blog and had to pop over to tell you that i absolutely love your wreath! I too love natural materials and definitely, I will be making one similar. Thank you for sharing you idea and your tutorial.