Typographic Cushions

Alright, I’ll admit it, I’m in love with typography and would marry it if I could….

….you know what they say though – too much of a good thing is never a good thing….

….though does it really have to be so?….

….I mean, surely a letter here and a number there can’t really hurt…can it?

It’s lucky for me and my temporary obsession then that these duck-egg blue babies (below) are destined for my parent’s beach house. One for each of the single beds in the twin guest room – so cute!

They were a cinch to make. I just designed some artwork in Paint.Net (if you don’t have an image editing program and haven’t heard of Paint.Net I recommend checking it out) then printed it in reverse onto iron-on transfer paper, cut closely around each separate component, positioned them where I wanted on some fabric then ironed away. The fabric was then made into the cushions that you see.

If you’d like to try creating something similar I’ve attached my artwork as a free printable (see the ‘At a Glance’ section at the end of the post to view and download). Please feel free to use it.
I’m keeping this newly embellished ampersand cushion though (below). I made it using the same method. Here it is in my living room.

AT A GLANCE
FREE PRINTABLE!
Classic number typographics.
Click here to view and download.

1. Elizabeth says:

I love your ambersand cushion. How cool is the eye chart light cover, too cute!

2. Love your pillows, Kristine! The ampersand is cute and now you need to make two more pillows,so the ampersand can be in between them. : )

3. I very much agree! I keep wondering if too much of a good thing is too much! I love it all though! The pillows turned out amazing. I’ve been wanting to make one of those Ampersand pillows for my bed…. thanks for the printing idea. I used your table scoring idea for a desk I just redid. Stop by sometime to see the results! So glad I “found” you again!

4. Very cute..I love the Duck egg blue!

Gemma X

5. You are SO clever! Love them. You mom is lucky to have a designer in the family!

6. Love this!! I too have a hard time not having a lot of typography everywhere!! Thanks for the little tutorial…just beautiful!

Hugs,
    Victoria

7. Olive Cooper says:

Those pale blue pillows…divine. That eye chart lamp shade not so much…reminds this nurse of actually using Snellen charts.

♦Olive♦

8. I love the pillows you made! How pretty they are. Hey, I’d marry the one from Apartment Therapy!
    Brenda

9. Natalie says:

LOVE! I would put words, letters & numbers everywhere if I could get away with it.

10. wow- i love these pillows! i LOVE the soft blue color, especially, and i also love graphic typography prints, numbers, letters…. i was an English and Comm major back in the day though, so maybe it’s just my love of language. both my kids names come from literature- sawyer and emerson!

11. I agree…I am in love with typography too! There is something so fun about it that works so well when decorating.

12. stormygirl says:

Absolutely gorgeous!! I have a bit of a ‘thing’ for typography too, and I just love my vintage London bus blind hanging on my wall. Your duck egg cushions are beautiful and thank you so much for sharing your template! It’s given me a few ideas to file away with everything else! I must say, your ampersand cusion is stunning…well done!

13. Kerry says:

Oh yes Kristine, I think typography is the new black! I love it and especially love the ampersand…there’s something special about that shape isn’t there…wonder who invented it!

14. Andrea says:

Love them! I also love the drum shade from Apartment Therapy. How fun would that be at your dining room table?
    Thanks for the template too, I’ll have to see if I can do something with my left over burlap.

15. Oh Kristine,
    You inspire me so. Seriously I’ve had two projects at least that I was compelled to do after your project. I recently made burlap chair cushions for my painted kitchen table that I’ll be showcasing on my blog this week. They have typography on them as well. I love letters so much, uppercase, lowercase, times new roman, courier.. Heck they all fascinate me!

16. Love it. I’ve seen those Pottery Barn Pillows – and yours is a great knockoff!

Thanks for linking up with Sugar & Spice.

17. I love them too… great collaboration of pictures. Thanks for sharing :)

18. Tina says:

I don’t think you could ever have too much typography, surely! I love your cushions they are all gorgeous Kristine:) Hope you are having a fabulous week ~ Tina x

19. Royaltygirl says:

I was just thinking about how to do some pillows like this today and then BAM! there was your post. I have been put on restriction from putting the letter R everywhere so the & will be perfect!

20. brismod says:

Wow. You are amazing. Is there nothing you can’t do? I love typography as artwork and that ampersand cushion is very cool. I’m now on the search for an eyechart for my walls.

21. LaKeta says:

Very cute!!! Love the blue color….nice and fresh vibe:)

22. The Moerks says:

I love all those cushions. Especially the ones you have made. Thank you so much for sharing your ideas and artwork. Very kind, generous and clever!

23. Kristine, your pillows are devine! I love them. I really need to have a go at making my own. Thank you so much for sharing, your such a sweetie! The images are gorgeous, I love the second one. The touch of red is perfect!xx

24. VINTAGE says:

Hey Kristine, you have a great blog! Wonderful…. so I fixed you quickly on my site ;) It’s ok??

Greetings

VINTAGE

25. i too love a good bit o’ type set….your cushions are heaven…& that huge number in the fireplace…..aahhh….wouldn’t you like to get your hands on that!
    i’m a new follower and love it all….
    melissa ….

26. I love your pillows! And thanks for the tip on that site. I will definitely check it out. I really love the shade of blue you chose too!

Jeanine

27. Laura says:

I love it! I’ve been trying to figure out a way to incorporate numbers into my decor but don’t quite know how.

28. Kim says:

Wonderful post – such great eye candy! I found you from the Welcome Wagon. It’s so nice to meet you!
    xoxo,
    Kim

29. hi
    I have been adimred your work for a while. I saw you from ebay and now I found your blog. (smile)
    Julie xx

30. Abby says:

That pendant is great!

31. These pillows are really great! I love them all. But my favorite has got to be that ampersand. Sigh. So sweet. :)

32. I love your ambersand cushion and duck egg blue pillows. The duck egg blue is a new favorite color me :)

33. Sarah says:

fabulous job! great!!!

34. 3sisters365 says:

Great ideas and I love your images-thanks for sharing them! I love your cushion!

Best wishes for a beautiful weekend,
    Natasha.

35. I love your pillows! I am totally obsessed with numbers and letters – I am going to check out the editing program you mentioned. Thanks for the tip!
    Visiting from The Shabby Nest.

36. I love this! Gonna have to try this one, thanks for the info!!

37. debra says:

Very cute! I love the pillows. Thanks for sharing the website info. Can’t wait to check it out.

38. Staci J says:

I LOVE it!!! What a great way to personalize your cushions:)Visiting from Frugal Friday.
    justsewsassy.com

39. Frau says:

Love it! Thanks for sharing your template! Have a wonderful weekend.

40. Sharon says:

great idea!

41. TidyMom says:

LOVE the pillows!!

Thanks for sharing and linking up to I’m Lovin’ It! Have a GREAT weekend!

42. Erin says:

I love the pillows you made! I’ve been wanting to give this a try. Oh, and I think I’ve confused people with the little zinc tags with numbers on them scattered throughout my house. :)

43. mle says:

Super Cute!!! : )

44. Great pillows and love the idea you shared with the words on the plates!

45. Teresa says:

It all made my day…. I will be filing some of these ideas away…to use someday.
    Happy Day

46. Hi! Brenda from Cozy Little House sent me over to give you a big welcome!! Come over for a visit sometime, my gate is always open!

Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

47. So cute…and I haven’t heard of that site…so thanks for the tip!

48. Kristy says:

Love in it!

49. Thanks for linking up Kristine! I love that pillow!!

50. really cute ideas! thanks for sharing your design…I want to make something with it, not for sure what because several things came to mind, but I will let you know what I end up with!