Ceiling Light Revamp

Question: What do you get when you take….

one kinda very ugly old light fixture,

a can of black spray paint,

some blingy old necklaces you wore once to a wedding three years ago,

and an el-cheapo drum shade from Target?

Answer: A pretty awesome ‘new’ glamorous ceiling light for under $20 – score!

To ‘create’ this new light fixture I first took the original light apart and sprayed all the really lovely polished brass with flat black spray paint.

I chose black because I wanted the finished light to have a dramatic, parisian edge.

I then divided out my beads into even lengths (still on their necklace string) and used the wire out of some bread ties (hey, that was what I had on hand – and it did the job!) to create little rings in each of the holes you can see in the light above (the holes were previously for the screws holding on the lovely frilly glass shades).

Next I attached the ends of my bead strips to the wire rings to create chandelier-like loops.

Once re-attached to the ceiling and encased in the drum shade the ‘new’ light makes for a pretty impressive and very thrifty little addition to my parent’s sitting room.

It’s hard to tell from the pics though it looks pretty awesome lit up. The light bounces off the crystal-cut beads and creates some real bling.

Here it is in place….

The drum shade is held up by being sandwiched between the light canopy and stem.

So again, just for comparisons sake, from tired old-fashioned drab….

To chic parisian fab (if I do say so myself)….

I know I’m probably not alone in my opinion that new ceiling lighting can be pretty excessively expensive so hopefully this little post has inspired you to look at ways of improving what you might already have – no matter how ugly it may seem to begin with!

1. Great makeover Kristine, I did read your guest post at Remodelaholic last week and I was impressed again today when I saw it! You are so clever! xx

2. gina3 says:

Wow,that looks like a really classic, elegant light fixture and it looks expensive. I can’t figure out how you attached the drum shade. Beautiful.

3. Norma says:

That is truly amazing – a tribute not only to your DIY skills but your ability to see treasure in trash :)

4. Hi Gina! The original fitting was a standard batton fix light so the drum is held in place between the top disk-like piece of the light and the shaft (you can see in the ‘before’ pic that the disk-like piece is crooked – that’s because it comes completely apart from the rest of the light which enabled me to fit the drum shade in between). I hope this makes sense!
    xx

5. Elaine says:

Really great lamp re-vamp!! :) Love it.

6. Oh wow! That is the cleverest thing I have ever seen!! Love it.

7. Nancy says:

All I can say is…wow. That is totally amazing!

Nancy

8. Creamy White says:

So beautiful! You really gave a new life to an old “kinda uggly” light fixture!
    Amazing!!!
    Have a lovely week,
    Li :-)

9. Wow. I can’t imagine how you could see that potential. It’s stunning now.

10. Casa Bella says:

Holy transformation! That is insanely gorgeous! Fantastic!

11. i am in love with this transformation. i keep looking around my home for somewhere i can do something like this, but we have so many darn fans!! i think you did an amzing job of transforming an outdated chandy into an updated fixture fancy nancy would be jealous of! (ok, so hopefully you know who fancy nancy is from your niece….)

12. *gasp* It’s beautiful! I love that!

13. Kim says:

Brilliant! I don’t even think are Target sells drum shades. :P

14. kim says:

That light is fantastic. What an ingenious idea.

15. Amy Kinser says:

That looks awesome! Great job!

16. Wendy says:

AAAAHHHH this is FABULOUS! It looks so elegant!

17. stormygirl says:

I love it!!! It looks fantastic! Well done!

18. What a fantastic transformation!!! It looks sooo expensive and classy. I have to confess I threw a couple of these light fittings away when we embarked on our renovation – oh how I wish I had them now! Michelle

19. Sarah B says:

Very impressive!! It looks amazing – i’d never have thought to have done that!

20. Allison says:

That looks fabulous!

21. Frau says:

Wow it turned out gorgeous!

22. This is a great makeover Kristine. You are right light fittings are darned expensive. This is an inspiring project.
    Donna xx

23. Jess says:

Wow that is really cool. I might try this myself!

24. Elizabeth says:

Wow – looks fantastic!

25. So lovely..: ) I love these transformations. You’d never guess it was the same thing.

Great idea for recycling too.

Gemma X

26. Amanda says:

Okay, this is amazing! I’m SO into light makeovers right now — I’m LOVING this one! Thanks so much for sharing!

27. judi says:

WOW! Kristine…this is A+mazing! I love the new look. Fantastic vision for outdated fixture.

Stop by tomorrow for my post on an old fixture. it’s en-light-ening! ;)

judi ;)
    the1829farmhouse.blogspot.com

28. Suzanne says:

That is pure genius! It looks like a million bucks~well done!

29. Katie says:

OMG! I love this… I think I need to do this to one of my fixtures at the house PRONTO!

30. TheCraftInMe says:

Wow, this was an awesome transformation! The necklace really adds an elegant touch.

31. Bromeliad says:

That’s awesome. I was shocked at how ugly the original was. :)

32. Megan says:

Love it!!!

33. You have the best ideas!
    Thanks for sharing @ Anything Related No.11!
    {Rebekah}

34. Love that! I have always admired chandys like this…great recreation!

35. That looks great! Way to think outside the box and create something so unexpected from something so… less than lovely!

36. Nice job!

Michelle
    from Trash to Treasure Decorating

37. Nikki says:

OMG, I could not love that more…seriously!!!!!!!! Thanks so much for linking up at Gettin’ Crafty on Hump Day! :)

38. OK that is a.mazing. I would never have thought of that in a million years. I love the cleverness and creativity. I’m off to read some of your other posts. I’m inspired! Lisa~

39. Red Head says:

You are a genius! I love it! I’ve never seen a light like that, but I love it! It’s very original an looks right at home in the room. Be proud, girl.

40. And a phenomenal score it is! Love it!
    Brenda

41. That is totally AWESOME!!! looks GREAT!
    I’m here from Life in my pj’s party…I’m a new follower!!!

42. Team Carroll says:

Oh my word!!!! I LOVE THIS!!!!! Best idea ever!!! Now you’re making me look at my light fixtures in a whole new way!! SO adorable! LOVE IT!

43. Condo Blues says:

Love.Love.Love.Love.Love! The price can’t be beat either.

44. I love this light.. i find those everywhere for like a few bucks..it is a GREAT way to be green and to “redo” for cheap! :) I love this and have it linked up to my blog today! :)

Heather @ vintagecreationsinc.blogspot.com

45. michelle says:

that is amazing! it looks like you paid alot of money for this fixture. love it!

46. WOW! What a F A B transformation! It looks great!

47. This project made me heart go pitter pat. Well done.

48. Diana's Life says:

Unbelievable! The transformation to the original light fixture is amazing. You can’t tell that is was once an ugly brass thing. The beads that you added to the shade are the icing on the cake. I love it.

49. Laura says:

Wow this looks great. I love that you used old necklaces.

I’m hosting a giveaway and I’d love it if you stopped by!

Laura @ along for the ride

50. OMG!!!!! I am soooooo going to have to make one of these!! Way to go on such a fabulous idea!! Love it!!