Ceiling Light Revamp

Question: What do you get when you take….

one kinda very ugly old light fixture,

a can of black spray paint,

some blingy old necklaces you wore once to a wedding three years ago,

and an el-cheapo drum shade from Target?

Answer: A pretty awesome ‘new’ glamorous ceiling light for under $20 – score!

To ‘create’ this new light fixture I first took the original light apart and sprayed all the really lovely polished brass with flat black spray paint.

I chose black because I wanted the finished light to have a dramatic, parisian edge.

I then divided out my beads into even lengths (still on their necklace string) and used the wire out of some bread ties (hey, that was what I had on hand – and it did the job!) to create little rings in each of the holes you can see in the light above (the holes were previously for the screws holding on the lovely frilly glass shades).

Next I attached the ends of my bead strips to the wire rings to create chandelier-like loops.

Once re-attached to the ceiling and encased in the drum shade the ‘new’ light makes for a pretty impressive and very thrifty little addition to my parent’s sitting room.

It’s hard to tell from the pics though it looks pretty awesome lit up. The light bounces off the crystal-cut beads and creates some real bling.

Here it is in place….

The drum shade is held up by being sandwiched between the light canopy and stem.

So again, just for comparisons sake, from tired old-fashioned drab….

To chic parisian fab (if I do say so myself)….

I know I’m probably not alone in my opinion that new ceiling lighting can be pretty excessively expensive so hopefully this little post has inspired you to look at ways of improving what you might already have – no matter how ugly it may seem to begin with!

1. No way! Seriously? That is amazing! Hmmm…now I just have to find an ugly brass light fixture…

2. Chris says:

I just can’t get over how great this turned out. Drum shades are my current passion, and I’m in LOVE with this one. Genius!

3. Heidi says:

What a great makeover! Love it!

4. Josleyn says:

An unbelievably elegant makeover. Well done!

5. Really beautiful and creative. I’m your newest follower and look forward to finding other goodies here. Please come and visit me at my blog, and if so inspired, follow me in return.

6. Very impressive. Love it!!

7. slommler says:

Just popping over from Finding Fab and your light re-do is fabulous! So clever!!
    Thanks for sharing
    Hugs
    SueAnn

8. Vanessa says:

Wow!! Amazing tranformation!

9. Simply beautiful! Talk about a glamorous transformation. I’m in love.

10. How inspiring! That ceiling fixture turned out so chic….I thought there was a fabulous chandelier under that shade.

11. JoLynn says:

So great! I love what you did. How is the shade staying up though? Is it attached to something?

12. OMGosh it’s beautiful! Love it!

13. Anonymous says:

Wow! What an incredibly creative transformation. I love it!

14. Rene' says:

Wow that is awesome!!

15. Alison says:

Kristine this is amazing. Such a clever idea.
    Your parents must love it
    Alison

16. love it! I’m hoping to do something similar in my office.

17. That is just what I need in my bathroom!! The light over my tub isn’t THAT bad (sorry), but it sure needs some bling. You have just the perfect idea.
    Please come to my Friday Favorites linky party, so I can remember.

18. michiganhome says:

When I saw the “before”, I was thinking, “What in the world is she going to be able to do with that?!?!” I couldn’t wait to see, and I can’t believe what I am seeing! Amazing. Just amazing. I have to follow you now! :)
    Love,
    Michiganhome

19. Such an inventive fix! Bead garlands can snazzy up anything but I especially love them in this combo with black, so sophisticated!

20. This is ingenious- What a fantastic job- inspiring

21. This is such a great makeover!! I would love one in my house!!

Thanks so much for linking up to Pajama Party at Life In My Pjs!!

~Ela

22. Wow, I am so impressed! This light fixture is gorgeous and the fact that you thought to do this is so creative. Love it!
    xo, Sherry

23. Scarletomy says:

Beautiful idea!

24. Amanda says:

LOVE it! This is such a wonderful tranformation and a gret new light fitting x

25. That is seriously beautiful! I wouldn’t have thought to add a drum shade! Brilliant!!

26. STUN. ING. It’s so high end I don’t know what to do with myself here. I’m a stuttering mess. You’ve turned something so standard and ugly into a thing of beauty! Be proud! This is amazing.

Donna

27. Erin says:

Wonderful!! I love such a thrifty, yet chic makeover! Thanks for sharing.

28. liene says:

Så lovely finish….toaly shick!
    Liene

29. I really like this idea. Very clever.

30. Super chic! I love this idea, so thanks for sharing the genius of it!

31. Tracey says:

Way to go–this looks amazing! Love the use of bread ties, too!

32. Kansas Amy says:

That is stunning! Great job!

33. Tammy says:

OMG! This is just too cute! I love love love it!

34. I am featuring this idea on crazydomestic.com tomorrow! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Steph

35. FlyAwayHome says:

OMG! How creative is that? I love it.

36. So impressive! This is just wonderful. What vision you have. Good job!

37. Jennie says:

I love this look in lighting, but it can be so pricey. This is a great idea! Thx for sharing!

38. Now that is just genius! I love the look. Visiting from Centsational Girl- congrats on the feature!!

39. thefab4m's says:

thank you for just giving me an idea for our sorry old brass chandelier in our dining room….this type of fixture will look much better and more modern…will send you a pic upon completion…have a great day
    h

40. Bette says:

Now that takes creativity to see that beautiful light fixture in that brassy thing. WOW!!

41. I love love love this!!! The possibilities are endless here! Thanks for such a wonderful inspiration!!
    XO
    Kristin

42. Grab Ur Fork says:

Wow! That is really beautiful! I love the black – it looks formal & impressive. :) I came here from centsational girl & am so glad I did! Thanks for the inspiration!

43. AmericKim says:

Wow! How cool is that! You are an inspiration to all of us “DIYers”!
    Thanks!
    Kimberly

44. Mrs. Nepper says:

Absolutely lovely. I am so impressed!

45. Maevy says:

How clever of you! Thanks for sharing this great idea, it is very inspiring!

46. Brandi Nell says:

Kristine! Popping over from Centsational, this is just fab! I am your newest follower :)

Can’t wait to learn more about you! Hope to see you soon over at my blog brandinell.blogspot.com

xoxo,
    Brandi Nell

47. Cathe Holden says:

This takes the cake. Seriously!!!

I came over from Centsational Girl’s blog to see how the magic was done. Fabulous job!

48. anhesty says:

fantastic makeover! i am truly inspired!

49. Shanarun says:

Great idea! Now the fixture AND your beads have a new life! Perfect results!

50. Janie says:

Jumped here from Centsational Girl. You are a genius! Awesome light fixture!