The Painted Hive Master Bedroom

Update: Check out how my bedroom has evolved! View more recent posts here.

Some interesting wall angles and the need for tonnes of storage really dictated the design for our master bedroom. Function and budget were high priorities so I decided to work ‘pretty’ around ‘practical’. The neutral palette combines loads of natural texture with vintage elements for a relaxed yet fresh feel. While there are still a few additions I’m considering I’m pretty happy with how it’s coming along. I’m also waiting to put some finishing touches on the built-in robe doors and will share the after pics of them soon too.

So, here’s the floor plan just to give you an idea of the room’s weird shape (BED 1)…

And here’s the space before (cringe!)…

Well, that was after we already simplified the canvas by painting out the green walls and brown trim (Dulux Chalk USA on the walls, Dulux White Watsonia on the trim), replacing the dirty old carpet and removing the completely translucent ultramarine blue curtains!

If you’ve been following this makeover from the beginning, aside from being incredibly patient), you should also recognise a fair bit of the decor.

Pretty much all of the furnishings have been thrifted, bought on clearance or hand-made and every piece of furniture in the room is second-hand. To avoid a massively lengthy post I’ll cover each refurb in more detail in separate upcoming posts.

Update: Check out how my bedroom has evolved! View more recent posts here.

1. STUNNING! I love it! You did such a beautiful job! What a fun floorplan and I loooove how you breathed life into old pieces. All the finishes are gorgeous! My favorite part is all the light bright faded colors paired with the brassy gold of the frame! so posh!

2. Kristine, I love it, really peaceful and a room you want to go into to. I’m really interested in the mat you have. Did you buy it locally?
    I’m looking for something similar for our bedroom when we finish the reno
    Lesley

3. Brilliant in every way possible. I was so looking forward to this makeover and it hasn’t disappointed Kris – love it. Sandy x

4. It looks so nice and inviting!

5. Chrissie says:

Wow! This is a truly fabulous makeover! I love what you did with your room!

6. So inspiring! All of the furniture transformations are beautiful, but my favorite is the framed map – LOVE old lookin’ maps! Great transformation! -diane

7. Sarah B says:

You have done a wonderful job. I like how everything has it’s own character but it all goes together so well :)

8. I can’t help but burst out in loud praise over this amazing transformation!
    You have done an amazing job and I love the detail. It’s simple yet with lots of personality.
    WELL DONE!

x Charlotta

9. I looks beautiful Kristine :-)
    Have a wonderful week.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

10. The Moerks says:

Sensational, it is lovely. I have a stool just like the metal one. Yours is a great colour.
    The linen throw looks fab. I love it all:)

11. Lee says:

Hi Kristine, I have a been following your bedroom makeover since the beginning – it’s absolutely gorgeous and well worth the wait! You are such a clever thing – the room looks a million dollars and it was done on a very tight budget. Amazing. Thanks for sharing. Lee :)

12. SHERRY HART says:

Kristine..that is a lovely and peaceful bedroom….great job!

13. Just stopping by from Met Monday. Your bedroom is really coming along and looks great! Very calm, clean and relaxing!

14. Atticmag says:

Haven’t been following your room makeover as it’s the first time for me on your blog. But I think it’s looking splendid. I’m also curious about the layering on your bed. The effect is very pretty just can’t figure out if it’s two quilts or what? Hope you’ll stop by. Jane F

15. That looks elegant and relaxing! What an amazing transformation!

16. Mary says:

Oh what a wonderful makeover! I love the great map used as a “headboard” and those gorgeous painted pieces!

17. Looks amazing!! I’d love to know about the finish on the slate blue armoire! Is it milk paint?

18. Absolutely gorgeous! Fabulous job. I can’t wait to find out the sources on the linens and that rug! I’ll stay tuned :)

19. Pudel-design says:

That looks amazing!
    I LOVE the result!;)

20. Dharma says:

Love, love, love….thanks for all the before/ afters! That headboard art map is yummolicious!

21. Amazing! You are truly talented! You took a rag tag bunch of items and transformed them into beautiful cohesive design.

22. What a great transformation of each of the pieces of furniture. You made that room awesome!

23. CASABrasi says:

You did a great job! It’s beautiful! It’s amazing what can be done with a can of paint. The tall armoire and the bedside chest with gold hardware are my favs.

Congrats!

24. Cristie says:

It looks just beautiful. Great pieces around every corner. Thanks for sharing and have a lovely week.

25. Beautiful. Peaceful and inviting. I love every single touch. Amazing transformation. So there’s hope for mine yet, right?

I love it. Great job, Kristine!

Roeshel

26. You are a very talented faux painter! I love to paint furniture and faux paint walls and things too and you’ve inspired me to do more of it! I’ve followed you and hope you’ll check out my blog too. I found you on Met Monday :)

Michelle

27. Olive Cooper says:

Kristine, the neutral colors work well and you achieved the storage you needed. I like that the furniture was all thrifted. Bravo!

28. Shaunna says:

Beautiful….such a wonderful job on every single detail! -shaunna :)

29. Rene' says:

Beautiful Room…I love everything about it!

30. Robin says:

Beautiful room. You have done yourself proud…and thoses maps (love them)…and the white painted cabient (yummy) …and the bedding . . . It’s all so perfect!
    Very, Very well done.

31. Lili says:

Truly, worth the wait. :)

32. Your bedroom is beautiful! Love the armoire transformation – the shade of blue is gorgeous. ANd love how you used the framed map as the headboard – very creative :-)

Kelly

33. wow! Totally inspiring and gorgeous! I truly love your master bedroom makeover. Your before and after photos had me oooohing and aaaaahing. Wish I knew how to re-do like you-do! :)

34. Pam says:

I want your bedroom. And I especially like the map hanging over the bed. The whole room is inspiring.

35. I am in a puddle of drool over here. BREATHTAKING!!! I hope you give us some details on the finishes. You are brilliant — just brilliant.

Cheers~
    e

36. Barbara says:

So relaxing and inviting! I love your soothing color palette. The makeovers on the furniture are so inspiring. You have a lovely eye for design.

37. jennaelayne says:

where is your giant K from??? :o) xo jenna

38. Sigh…

so happy I stopped by this room and your blog is fabulous!!!

39. stormygirl says:

Love, love, love, love, love it ALL!!! You have done a fabulous job! Well done…just brilliant!!

40. I love your bedroom redo….so serene!

41. Kek says:

Love it all, Kristine – you’ve managed to fit a lot in, but still make the room seem really spacious and light.

42. Katherine says:

Love everything about it, especially the ‘K’! Love the eclectic look of the furniture, it inspires me to look out for unloved pieces to transform and complete my bedroom.

43. Tonya says:

I love the room and especially the furniture and the chest on the left of the bed. I’ve seen so many of those but never believed they could look as good as yours. Cant wait to see how you did the furniture.

44. Anne says:

wow – the furniture is all so great! and i love improvised headboard ideas. they just seem outrageously expensive to me, so i’m always trying to come up with stand-ins! yous looks amazing.

45. m e g a n says:

I love how simple and peaceful this is! Exactly how I want our new bedroom to look like. You did a great job! Especially love that old gigantic frame!

46. Kristine, thanks so much for adding this beautiful room and furniture transformations to my before and after party. I see a lot of people love your new room.

47. I love that blue armoire! That’s for showing the before and afters…I can never see enough of them. The wonders of paint and stain never cease to amaze me. :)

Alison

48. What a fabulous room you have. Trish

49. Pat says:

Absolutely gorgeous makeover!

50. Wow! Your bedroom makeover was well worth the wait Kristine. You have done a fabulous job and I love how you have pulled it all together. xx