Distressed Coffee Table

Update: Check out my complete distressed coffee table tutorial here.

I’ll be the first to admit I’ve been a very, very bad blogger of late (tist, tist to me).

And whilst I wouldn’t be surprised if due to my month long hiatus there’s no-one still around here to actually be reading this right now, just in case there is, I’d like to beg forgiveness (pretty please?).

Thing is, I’ve now got just a few weeks of ‘real’ full-time work left before I begin TWELVE WHOLE WEEKS of leave prior to the baby bundle coming along and boy is my decorating ‘to-do’ list chockers!

Soooo, this means once the un-fun stuff finally starts to slow down I promise to make it all up to you. And for those who thought I’d dropped clear off the face of the earth I just wanna clarify that my intention is to keep blogging as long as I have something interesting enough to share.*

(*Disclaimer: Level of interest may be subject to reader’s enthusiasm for interior decoration :-)

Anyways, to begin my attempt at redemption I thought I’d share a coffee table makeover.

You may remember how I wrote about our new living room sofas and some associated impending updates. Well, I was originally looking for something a bit out-of-the-box and industrial in style for the coffee table though when I spotted this gem on eBay for just $25 I couldn’t say no.

Given the unorthodox shape of our living room I’d always liked the idea of something round and when I put this table in place (aside from everything being all too ‘brown’) it was just right.

A mini makeover to create some character and break-up the ‘blahness’ was all it needed so I painted the base white before heavily distressing it (by hand using a sanding block) then glazing and sealing it in one step (using a mixture of acrylic sealer and burnt umber craft paint).

The top was sanded back to raw (using an orbital sander), scuffed up just a little bit with a prick punch, hammer and heavy steel chain then stained walnut before being sealed with one coat of danish oil. Over time the danish oil will mellow and leave a lovely natural soft lustre.

1. Tammi says:

I was just thinking of you today and wondering how you were keeping :)
    I love this table, much better in your space.
    Wow you haven’t got long before you welcome your bundle of joy into the world
    xx

2. Deanne says:

yes we’re still here- table looks fantastic, suits your space much better.

3. The Moerks says:

Wow, growing a baby and working is tiring, no wonder you are not frequently posting. Never mind, we will still be here. Love the table, it is perfect with the couches in your space.

4. stormygirl says:

Great to see an update from you, Kristine! Your new coffee table and couches are gorgeous! I hope you enjoy your 12 weeks off before your baby arrives! I had about 20 weeks before my first was born, and it was the best decision I made!

5. Kerry says:

Kristine! Welcome back, and with such a fab makeover to boot! It’s fantastic as is everything you put your hand to. How exciting to be so near to taking lots of time before your life changes! Hope to see lots more of you :)

6. Evelyn says:

Welcome back! Your coffee table update is fantastic and I love your style. It’s always a treat when you post something new! :)

7. Lisa says:

Looks nice! Can’t wait to hear more from you!

8. Agatha says:

Love the round coffee table , you did a fantastic job!!
    Agatha at audistree.blogspot.com

9. Olive Cooper says:

Kristine, it is fabulous to open the blog and see you on my roll to day! The round table is brilliant and the stain on the top and white on the bottom is just how I like them. Take care of that darling baby. hugs♥O

10. Theresa says:

love the new table, you totally made it your own with the paint! It looks perfect with the new sofa.xoxo

11. Miranda says:

I LOVE it! I have a huge round coffee table that desperately needs a paint makeover. I love the treatment you did. It looks fantastic!

12. Ange says:

I cannot believe that is the same table! It looks fantastic and really suits the space. A very clever makeover. Enjoy it! Ange

13. yeah! so happy to see you’re back! Your photos are top notch, very nice. and i love the new table too!
    d e n i s e

14. Martina says:

Kristine, LOVE the coffee table it works so well with your new sofas! Love the pillows too. Congrats on your soon to be new arrival,how exciting!! Martina

15. KellyH says:

That is super fantastic! Love it!

16. tickled. says:

that coffee table looks amazing! can’t believe the pricetag either! :)

Lauren @ tickled.

17. Chris says:

Very nice. We are considering doing a square table way in the near future. Great job! Chris

18. Kristine, I love the finish on this table and love the new sofa. Looks so comfy.

19. NanaDiana says:

Kristine- Love it..I th ink it looks so much better than the old one. Great job AND I think it makes the room flow better. xxoo Diana

20. obviously we are all still very much here! love the new table!
    i literally was thinking about you last night and thinking, oh i can’t wait for kristine to reveal her nursery!

21. Katie says:

Gorgeous!! And love the new sofa, too.

22. Ellie says:

It’s perfect! I thought the first picture was a catalog inspiration! Amazing!

23. i love your blog, won’t give up on you :-)In fact, sometimes it’s refreashing to get a special surprise in my GR instead of bombarded by 50 posts in a week by some bloggers. Quality, not quantity – right? I’d love to hear more details on how to accomplish the looks you get. (you make it sound so simple but I wouldn’t know where to begin!) The table is perfect and you did an amazing job!

24. I am in love with this table! It looks like something out of an expensive store!

25. I love the round table you painted! Great job, it goes beautifully with your sofa.

26. LOVE the new coffee table! You did a fantastic job on it! I’ve been thinking of getting a round coffe table for our living room and you have me really liking that idea now!

27. Hi Kristine, I love the new table and the finish is fabulous! It looks perfect with your new sofa.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

28. Catherine says:

Wow that looks amazing! It looks so good with your sofa!
    x

29. AntiqueChase says:

Round is the new square!!!

Did you pick it up from an Ebay seller or have it shipped?

30. Sarah B says:

Wow, it looks amazing! You have such a knack for seeing potential. Lovely to see you again too! X

31. Lovely to hear from you Kristine, I hope you are keeping well. The coffee table is a keeper for sure looks fantastic.
    Donna xx

32. Yep wtill here and love the new coffee table makeover…gorgeous
    Lesley
    x

33. Linda says:

WOW..I love that new coffee table idea. In fact I think my living room is so crowded and recently been thinking and starting to look for a round one to make more room. and i love that white distressed look.
    thanks for sharing.

34. Annastacia says:

Congrats on the baby! I am expecting as well so I have not been blogging or following blogs for months now, so I am probably a little slow to hear the news! Blogging is wonderful but you have to stay focused on what really matters, and taking care of yourself and family should be at the top of your list! Your table looks amazing! It’s absolutely gorgeous! You are one tough women if you can refinish furniture while pregnant :)

35. Jenny says:

Nice to see you back Kristine, was wondering where you went… I love your coffee table makeover and the details of how you finished it. It looks great with your new lounge chairs and the pillows/cushions. ;-)

36. REALLY PRETTY!! I really love what you did. Just popping in from POWW.

37. Tanya says:

Stumbled upon your blog today. Love the coffee table makeover and all your home decor. I’m your newest follower :)

38. Holly Austin says:

So glad to see you back! The coffee table is gorgeous, great transformation! Can’t wait to see what all you have in store for us :)

39. I adore the new table, and love the heavy distressing! Just fabulous!!!!

40. Really looks great! I think a round table was the perfect choice in your space.

41. I seriously feel like I just read my own future post. I just bought a round table today that I am staining the top on and painting the legs white. I am also replacing it with a rectangular table with chunky legs like your original table….

…to funny….btw, yours came out amazing….

Take care,
    Lisa

42. Stephanie says:

Well Selina wrote what I was gong to write, so I second what she says. I love the look of a round table in a room, takes the look of a box within a box look in a room. {something my sister thought of, I had never thought of it that way}

43. Why do I feel like I need to go buy a round table now.. It looks great! Impeccable taste as always :)

44. Wow I love the new coffee table and love your blog found you on Kathleens white Wednesday
    xo
    Pam

45. Anna says:

great job on the coffee table, I really like the paint / stain finish

46. You are redeemed! Fabulous table!!!

47. You always do beautiful work. Magazine worthy everytime. I like your new sofa too.

48. I love the coffee table! It turned out fantastic!!

49. Meg says:

It’s beautiful! I love the round table. You did a great job! I don’t think anyone can fault you taking a blogging break—not with a baby doing gymnastics in your tummy! ;)

50. That has got to be one of the nicest coffee tables I’ve seen, I love that shelf underneath! Great job!!
    Tracey