Fern Study Prints with Free Printables!

Do you ‘member I mentioned there had been lots of tissy-ing up going on over at my hive? Well, something I had been wanting to change for a while were the bird prints in my living room.

Above is my living room as it was around 18 months ago.

They are cute and I do like them though the proportions were never quite right and it was simply time for something different.

At the moment I’m really into vintage illustrated nature studies so for my living room I deciding on some botanical fern lithographs, mainly because I think they’re cute though also because of their green foliage.

You see, to a fickle girl like me who can’t seem to commit to colour, green foliage adds that little punch of life to an otherwise unsaturated room whist maintaining an overall sense of harmonious neutrality. I always like to include foliage of some kind in all of my spaces.

I switched out the original chunky frames for finer ones I found at a cheap dollar store and to better fit with the proportions of the new leather sofa I created two rows of four prints (and yes, my ‘new’ leather sofa is over a year old now!).

Please forgive the reflections :-)

I found the fern illustrations on the NYPL Digital Gallery. I edited them in Photoshop then simply printed them off. I used non-glossy photo quality paper because I chose not to matte the prints so the white border you can see around the image is actually the paper itself.

I really love the way they look though best of all they were virtually free!

If you’re interested in using the same fern illustrations as me, for your convenience I have included a link to download them below! I had to enlarge them slightly, so the image quality is not impeccable though I personally like them that way. The look genuinely old, faded and imperfect. These prints are designed to fit standard 11″ x 8.5″ certificate frames (this includes having a visible paper border as can be seen in mine).

AT A GLANCE
SOURCES
Photo Paper (Kodak)
Picture Frames (21cm x 28cm/8.5″ x 11″ Certificate Frames)
CREDITS
NYPL Digital Gallery
FREE PRINTABLE!
Eight vintage fern studies.
Click here to view and download.
  1. Lottie says:

This is so clever and something I never really thought about doing..printing the images myself I mean.

I always go looking for vintage postcards or images but I will definitely be trying this next time.

2. modern jane says:

This looks so great! I love the proportions for the space. And thank you so much for sharing!

3. What a great idea! I’m off to check out the digital gallery now!
    -Diana

4. i love your taste! so clean and fresh and still has to much character!

Julie :)

5. Deanne says:

Looks great!

6. Those are so sweet!

~ Emily N. from “too Blessed to Stress”

7. Giov says:

Love love love your frames and fern prints. Which dollar store were the frames from?
    I always enjoy your posts and am looking forward for the lounge room photo’s. I hope it’s soon.
    xo

8. NanaDiana says:

Kristine- What a beautiful job! It is just wonderful~ xo Diana

9. Giov, I found the frames at a random discount store in a local shopping complex near my home in Australia. I don’t think they have a chain of stores.

10. I love fern- thanks for sharing this, it looks amazing! And thanks for conveniently linking the pictures, too, it’s appreciated!

11. Angie Rogers says:

Love these. thank you! What did you print them on? cardstock?

12. Just found your blog through Pinterest and I’m so happy I landed here. Love your decorating style. I’m now a follower.

13. Great inspiration and link. The ferns and frames are perfect. Thanks for doing the investigating for the rest of us. Jo @ Let’s Face the Music

14. gina says:

i love the idea of plant illustrations! thanks for sharing!

15. moonsword says:

I never knew about the NYPL Digital Library…supercool resource! Your fern print set is just gorgeously pristine and striking. Thank you so much for sharing it and the link to the Library. :)
    Arrived via Today’s Creative Blog…cheers!

16. Jenna says:

AMAZING! Thanks so much, I just sent them to my husband to print to work, thank you!

17. Gladys says:

What size did you print them?
    they look great

• Hi Gladys
      They are printed onto standard size (A4) copier paper. The images themselves are around 17cm wide x 23cm long.
      Cheers.

18. Jen Grimmett says:

I see that you did this a few years ago but I just found it and I was so excited to see you had edited them for your viewers. Its really so nice of you, I just printed them off to go above my sofa like yours. And my middle name is Fern so it works out great for me. This really was so nice of you to do all this for us to use. Thank you!!!

• It’s my pleasure Jen. Thanks for letting me know you appreciate it. I’m actually about to post a set of nine larger fern images (maybe next week) if you’re after more of a different size :-)

• Hi Jen. Just a little update to let you know that the new larger high quality fern printables are now available for free download. Find them here: http://thepaintedhive.net/2014/05/free-fern-printables/

:-)