Living Room Update

Beside delegation, the key to good time management is prioritisation, right?

So, amongst caring for a seven month old, running a household, working on furniture revivals and design consultations and pretending to be a web developer, what’s another important task?
Well, teaching yourself to juggle of course (yep, you read right, my current record is 26 consecutive tosses of Charlotte’s squishy, coloured blocks).

Of course, I’m not really staying up ’til midnight chucking balls in the air, it just struck me as funny when yesterday I caught myself continuing to practise after even Charlotte had lost interest!

Anyhoo, in the spirit of prioritisation I thought I should finally make the time to share my updated living room as promised.

I originally blogged about the new distressed leather sofas several months back (I use the term ‘new’ rather loosely as we have now had them for over a year). With a dog, a baby and one, let’s just say, not un-clumsy husband they have been the BEST. I can’t count the number of times we’ve simply wiped off dirty paw prints, regurgitated milk or special spicy szechuan sauce, looked at each other and in unison said, “that’s why we bought leather couches”.

The fern pictures are free printables. I recently blogged about them here (the fern images I used are included in the original post so you can print them for yourself if you’re interested :-)

The coffee table was an eBay find I refurbished. If you missed the original makeover post you can check it out here.
Sorry about the poor ‘before’ pic. I took it straight off the eBay listing.

The card catalogue, which you can catch glimpses of in some of the following photos, was another eBay buy. You can read more about it in this previous post.

The industrial style pendant which hovers above the coffee table matches the one above our dining space.

I picked up the replica Tolix stool from eBay. It helps create a gentle link with the dining end of the space without looking too matchy-matchy.

Overall, I’m really happy with the feel of the space though I would love to break up some of the brown with a gorgeous ticking or light jute area rug. Unfortunately, the angles in the room don’t really allow for a rug though :-(
However….whilst I can’t really justify changing the perfectly fine floor at the moment there is talk that we will be replacing it (one day) which just might be the excuse I need to try painting it first (if you are my husband and you are reading this that whole last sentence was just a typo).

I know some of you will wonder why I bothered changing a perfectly nice enough room to begin with?
Well, the new (and kinda necessary) sofas were the catalyst and it was just time for something fresh (plus I have decorating ADD :-)

The only thing missing from the previous photos was this little guy….

He’s pretty much always in that exact spot – well, there, or beneath Charlotte’s highchair waiting for tasty morsels to fall from the sky (and no, I didn’t choose my dog based on his level of colour co-ordination with my interior scheme – though he does blend in nicely, doesn’t he?).

AT A GLANCE
SOURCES
Sofas (Plush Sofas $1800 for both – floor stock)
Coffee Table (eBay $25)
Card Catalogue (eBay $120)
Tolix Stool (eBay $60)
Throw Blanket (Adairs – gift)
Rectangular Canvas Pillow (IKEA $25)
Quilted Ticking Pillow (home-made from a european pillow case from Adairs $15 – on sale)
Damask, Ticking and Linen Pillows (home-made with fabrics from Spotlight)
Lamp (Sokol $110 – wholesale)
Pendant Light (Recollections $80 – on sale)
PROJECTS
Distressed Coffee Table Makeover
Fern Printables
Card Catalogue Upcycle

1. You have a pretty living room. I like the natural colors.

2. I love the transformation! I would also love for you to stop by my Linky Party and Link up via: Ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Mrs. Delightful
    ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

3. such great photos!! love it!! just came across your blog, really like it a lot!! do drop by mine. wanna follow thru GFC if u like will follow back:))

I have a worldwide perfume giveaway planned in a weeks time..so make sure to drop by and get more details then;)

4. It was pretty before but the after is stunning, Kristine. I love your style – great mix! I can’t choose one favorite thing. The entire makeover is gorgeous! :)

5. Mercy Smith says:

I’ve been eagerly waiting this post and haven’t been disappointed in the least! Your living room is my inspiration for our own. :)

6. These are lovely! The table looks wonderful. Have a delightful day, Kellie xx

7. I love your living room, really beautiful. I love the card catalog as does everyone else. You table was sure a score and love how you finished it. Also light the industrial light pendant. Your photograph is so good, what photo editing do you use. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday’s Best.

8. Kristine says:

I wish I had the know-how to do things like this! It looks fabulous! And we have the same name :)

9. This is such a beautiful, serene space. It is straight out of a magazine. I love it!

Jenny

10. This is simply stunning! I so wish you could come and transform my space! Would love it if you’d share this and other projects on my linky party. Destination: Inspiration at Teagan’s Travels.

Thanks, Michelle

11. These pictures are awesome! Great job!

12. Kristel says:

I love how your room looks, you have amazing style, and I’m your newest follower!!!

13. Your pictures are wonderful and really highlight the great work you have done. I loved it and shared it on FB and Twitter! Thanks for sharing it with all of us!

14. I love your room- absolutely beautiful!!! Love the mix of the industrial lighting in there too~ sharing at tonights party~ thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

15. Andrea says:

I LOVE the look and that you incorporated sofas that are functional for kids!

I am with Content in the Cottage wondering where you purchased the perfect size sofas!?!?

16. LOVE the mix of styles in this room! It looks like you built it over time…so beautiful.

17. Love your makeover! You are making me rethink my leather couch and loveseat sitting on Craigs List–I love how they feel so light in your space.

I have a question about your gorgeous window treatments–I didn’t see them listed in the sources/projects. Did you make them or have them made? I am dying for Romans just like yours.

Thanks!
    Amy

18. Love your design style-very soothing to look at and seems so homey! Also love the dining room-want some chairs like those! Your newest follower :)

19. Love your style! We are due to update our sofa and love seat and I am seriously considering leather. I love the look of it in your living room. Great style! I’m your newest follower!

20. Peggy says:

I am loving your living room update and I am so glad you did NOT sell your card catalogue. I have to admit I was shocked at what they cost nowadays…. (i got mine 6 years ago for $5 at a school district auction after the new high school was built.)

Did you DIY your potted plants? I love the look of them! All in all your room is incredible and has left me looking at some necessary changes. Thank you! :)

21. ALEXandra says:

LOVE IT ALL :))

Alex

22. I found your blog through a link party and am so glad I did! This living room is so gorgeous – I love the industrial accents and those sofas :)

23. I had a brindle and still have a tan.. They do go well with the decor huh?!… Boxers that is ;)

24. bekkah says:

wow.

i made my way over from pinterest w/ the glass container decal. your house is GORGEOUS! i hope you and your family enjoy many peaceful days there!!

God bless,

25. Justine says:

Stopping by from the Girl Creative Blog Hop! http://queenofsavings.com

26. Holly says:

Gorgeous … decorating ADD I LOVE IT lol …. sounds familiar!

27. Amy Fountain says:

Love the rustic look of the place. That coffee table really brings character into the room. Amazing job!

28. Chatty Chics says:

Gorgeous. Simply gorgeous.
    Melody

29. aarond says:

Thanks so much for the labels and I love the coffee table. Oh, and the barstools. Your house is very homey and that dog, what a face. So cute. I just joined your blog and hope you will join my new blog. It’s all about farm life, decorating, cooking, projects, and more. Check out Jake (the farm dog). Hope to see you there!!

30. Beauty Living Room Kristin, I’m your newest follower!
    Susan
    Homeroad.net

31. Gorgeous! I do love your style – you put together this room just beautifully! I’ve got this linked to my living rooms post too today, for inspiration!

32. Anne says:

Oh how I love your rooms! So beautiful – come help me do my house!!!!

xox

33. Katie says:

Beautiful room, very warm and inviting! Are your plants real? or artificial?

34. Hi Katie
    The succulent is real. The rosemary-look-alike is actually a spray of cut branches. The topiary is artificial.

35. erin kay says:

I’m in love with every room of your home! Plus you give me hope for having comfort and the style I love in a small space.

36. DebbieG says:

Love, Love, Love the before and after! Perfect pieces… I am also a new follower! I never seem to be able to find such great pieces on EBAY – if I do, then the shipping just kills it! Could you also tell me where you found the “fern” pics above the sofa? Thank you!

37. DebbieG
    The fern pics are free printables. Check this post for details:
    I never pay for shipping on eBay. There is an option where you can search for items within a certain radius of your postcode. I always use this so I know I can collect in person.

38. I’ve just found your blog through Design*Sponge and it is wonderful. Love your style! The industrial look that is “liveable” is so great and something that I am building in my home as well. Great job!

39. Emily says:

Wow! Do you do that photography yourself! I will say I am jealous of you for having a magazine perfect home! I looooove what you have done! I will be your newest follower!

40. Reyhan says:

Love your home and sense of style!

41. Tracey says:

Kristine, your doggy is the cutest. He looks like a boxer, but more compact. What breed is he?
    By the way, I absolutely love your room and your style. I’m copying many of your pieces…. or trying to!!
    Also LOVE your wedding dress…..

• The Painted Hive says:

Hi Tracey
      We refer to Cooper as a mini boxer too and it’s always funny when we come across actual boxers when we are out walking him. He is a Pugalier (pug x cavalier) and is a lovely dog.
      Thanks so much for your sweet compliments about my room and my wedding dress. It’s so sad you only get to wear the thing once!

42. Dansk says:

We love how creative you’ve been and the end result is fab!
    inexpensive by not replacing everything in the room, but refreshing and updated, brilliant.
    Check out our website as we’d love to help you complete your dream home in any way we can