A Super Easy Lamp Update

Easy Lamp Makeover using Spraypaint

One of the elements I was struggling to decide on for the living-dining room makeover at my parent’s house was the lamp.

I know it seems like a simple enough item, though everything appropriate I came across was just soooo expensive. I think the main problem was my aversion to anything super trendy. Not that there’s anything wrong with trendy. I was just after something a little bit different for this space.

Sadly though, “different” seems to come with a relatively hefty pricetag.

At one stage I contemplated DIY’ing an earthy branch lamp (even pinched, ah, I mean borrowed, a felled limb from a local reserve) though in the end it didn’t seem quite right.

So, when it became apparent, just a few days ago, that this illusive lamp was actually now the final piece in the “new” room puzzle, it was time to bite the bullet and get decisive already!

I started looking through my stash of collected goodies for a solution and came across this old thrifted lamp…

Lamp Makeover - Before

I picked this baby up for just $5 almost a year ago.
In a retro/mid-century modern interior it would look lovely as is however I bought it because I liked the classic shape and appealing proportions.

Hmmm, this could maybe work. It had the right scale and form. All it needed was a new shade and a fresh coat of paint.

This was one of those super quick and easy makeovers.

I simply gave the lamp a clean then popped a few cotton balls in the globe socket and masked the power prongs (to protect the electrical components from any over-spray) then hit the entire lamp, cord and all, with a few light coats of matte black spray paint.

To finish I added a simple linen shade ($10 from Target).

DIY Lamp Makeover

I know this isn’t the most spectacular makeover, though it was easy, affordable and incredibly transformative.

DIY Spray Painted Lamp

And sometimes quick little projects like this are the most inspiring.

Lamp Makeover

Now, with the inclusion of the “new” lamp the living-dining room makeover is finally complete! I still need to style the space properly though should be able to share the full reveal in the next week or two. Yay!

You can catch up on all posts about the room makeover here.

Lamp Makeover Before and After

1. Holly says:

Simple, beautiful and another lovely example of your “make the most” attitude. Very inspiring.

2. Agreed – so effective. And the styling is perfect!

3. That lamp looks fabulous. It almost looks like that expensive pottery they sell. Great fix! Your vignettes and style is one of my favorites on the web.
    xo,
    Karen

4. Sherylee says:

Wonderful! And I look forward to the reveal too.

5. Randi says:

BIG difference! I love the simple and inexpensive things we can do to update a room!

• They’re the best Randi. It’s so rewarding being thrifty.

6. Pauline says:

You certainly possess magical hands ;)

• Too kind Pauline. They’re really just spray painted ones ;)

7. Deb from Maryland says:

Love the black matte finish – neutral yet striking. Looking forward to the room reveal! :)

8. Etta says:

Love it! And the fact that you painted the cord as well. I always learn something new from your posts.

9. Jane says:

Looks great! Love simple transformations because they are so doable!

10. Cheryl says:

Perfect and Eco friendly too! Gotta love a good quick and low cost upcycle.

11. Wow lamps are looking amazing. This is really going to add an extra awesomeness in the decoration of the home. Before and after comparison pics are amazing. Just loving the selection

12. Wanderluster says:

Dang I think that’s fabulous. I NEVER in a MILLION YEARS would have picked up that ugly “before: lamp. I have no vision. Bravo!!! Beautiful transformation!

Free or cheap projects are our thing, too. We did a little curb appeal upgrade this weekend.

13. Sahana says:

Great transformation. Love the matte finish. Thank you for linking with us at #HomeMattersParty . We would love to see you again next week.

14. Lynne Gaylor says:

I love it! I love antiquing and looking at “old” things in a “new” way! Great job!

15. Kristine, I love it! When I was “refreshing” our bedroom this year, lighting was a priority. A new ceiling fixture, a new lamp and new shades for the wall lamps. I was having a very difficult time finding the lamp. If it was the right size, it wasn’t the right shape or color. It never occurred to me to paint a lamp!

• Ha, ha. I know, it’s hard to see past the facade some times. Painting light fixtures is the best Jean.