Easy Budget Wall Art

Hey guys.
Just popping in for a quick one today to share this budget wall art idea using inexpensive frames and gift wrap.

(Kmart picture frames and Cavallini gift wrap maps).

I know, I know, nothing earth shattering though affordable and effective.

(In case you’re extra observant and are wondering why South America is next to Russia in one of the pics I kinda mis-measured then had to improvise with cut-and-paste. When they’re all up on the wall I’m sure no-one will even notice. If I’m feeling super motivated one day I might even be bothered fixing it – probably not though).

If you happen to live anywhere near where that arrow is pointing you can buy this map gift wrap (along with a whole heap of other awesome stuff) from Zetta Florence.

If you don’t happen to live anywhere near where the arrow is pointing, you can also order on-line from Zetta Florence or check out the Cavallini website for stockists (and their whole range of other gorgeousness).

1. Kerry says:

South America and Russia together make a good shape! As always, a fantastically smart idea you clever thing x

2. kathie says:

I love that idea! When I was teaching, I decorated my classroom with framed wrapping paper sheets, since I couldn’t afford ‘real’ art. But I still love the idea, and will have to try the maps myself- maps are expensive! Hilarious about your ‘oops’ :)

3. stormygirl says:

Gorgeous!! I love maps too, and have 2 Cavallini maps in IKEA frames in my Lounge. The wrapping paper makes a great cheap alternative to prints! Eagerly awaiting to see your Master Bedroom reveal!!

4. What a great idea, Kristine! This would work so well in so many different rooms. I like the idea of framing it like you did as it makes them manageable and easier to hang, I think.

5. Melissa says:

I love this! I love maps too! I just completed a mod podge project with a vintage US atlas book. I love it, and can’t wait to do more!

6. NanaDiana says:

MyHero is already so directionally confused that I would be afraid to hang these! lol What a GREAT idea…love it…simple but with great impact. Nice job! Diana

7. Katie says:

Such a cute idea!! Would love that for my office!

8. Deanne says:

I am looking at a map inspired bedroom theme for two of my boys so I might do something like this, I was given a pile of old maps that I can use.

9. Ann says:

I could hang most of Zetta Florence in my home. My favourite place for a drool when in Melbourne. They look great… must check out the K-mart frames… Ann x

10. Looks fabulous! I have a huge old school map of Australia to put up, think it dates from the 1950’s. Just cant find a wall to put it on!!

11. JANE says:

Ooh, a woman after my own heart! Thanks for sharing, Kristine – I’m bookmarking this post for future inspiration. And Zetta Florence is a fave of mine as well – I love your taste! J x

12. Jen says:

What a great idea!
    Love it!

13. Mammamusing says:

I love maps as wall art too.

Thank you so much for the link to Zetta Florence’s website.

Your finished product looked great :)

14. those are so cool. my husband would actually really love these. he loves anything history related and he loves geography. i know where all the continents are, but get confused about actual countries…. ;) maybe i should make some so i can memorize!

15. L.A. says:

Definately going to do that!

Tag-you’re it!

Thanks for the continued inspiration!

16. Michelle says:

Great job! I love them! I have a friend in Melbourne and loved visiting her there a few years ago. What a beautiful part of the world you live in!

17. Dharma says:

OK, I just spent about 30 minutes over at the website…..thanks so much! I got some great Christmas ideas :) Love the idea!

18. Margo says:

I love maps, and I love inexpensive decorating projects, so this fits both.

I’m having a linky party over on my blog this week. Would love it if you joined in.

19. Kek says:

Wow, thanks for that link, Kristine. Gorgeous stuff – I wasted a LOT of time at work yesterday trawling through their catalogue. ;)

20. Gorgeous, just gorgeous! I’m loving the look of maps, too and found that Barnes & Noble carries tissue paper gift paper printed with an old world style world map….perfect for decoupage and a bit of umber glaze for a vintage look. That’s my plan, anyway. I’ll post about it when it’s done. Your map art is lovely.

21. Ughhhh! So envious!! I am still doing a little dresser like your map dresser. It’s painted and ready to go but can’t find a map! Those are so perfect. Look great, girl!

22. Lori says:

THis is great!

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday at Life As Lori! Please join me again for another great party!

23. Michelle says:

I just love this! I’ve been trying to think up a creative way to hang some maps I bought over the summer in our playroom.

24. Jenny says:

Fabulous as always from you!!!! Thanks for giving the paper links too. Can’t wait to see your bedroom, how is it coming along? ;-)

25. Nancy says:

Love this idea…especially the maps. It looks great!

26. Wow – these turned out great! I love nautical maps :O)

Hope you are enjoying your weekend!

27. They look great! I love old maps, they’re perfect for the “world market” decor look

28. kluless says:

This is a great idea – love it! One of my hobbies is geanelogy and this gives me an idea for my album covers. So simple I don’t know why I never thought of it. Sometimes it just takes that little nudge to light the fuse. Thank you for the inspiration!

29. Love this!! I too have framed maps hanging up:

They are the best!!

30. very cool idea! thanks for sharing at my saturday soiree :)

31. Love this!!! Had to share on my FB page! Great idea!!!

32. I love these too and how fun for you to point to where you are! Did you hang them in a straight line like in the picture on the wood floor?

33. Haleel says:

I’m getting ready to use maps for a new project, covering my husbands guitar case. Super cheap and easy Christmas gift for him. :)

34. Amanda says:

I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I linked to this post today from the Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :)

Your feature will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here

If you would like a “featured by” button, you can grab one here!

35. Ellie says:

i. love. maps. too!

i was giddy when i saw your framed “maps”! love them!

i moved from sydney 1.5 years ago (we lived there for 4 years but were americans originally :) i would love to move back and be a real aussie!

definitely will be stopping by your blog again (i found you on a round-about trip from pinterest!)

xo ellie

36. Toni Southend-on-Sea says:

Hi Kristine
    I also found you via a link on pinterest. I love maps as well but I make my craft projects from old atlases that I buy in Charity shops. I got 2 big atlases this morning for £3 – bargain – hundreds of maps!!! I now have lots of new maps to start working with and have found some lovely ideas. Once they are done I will send you pics – I am making pendants, magnets and framed pictures!!!