Easy Trash to Treasure Upcycle…using spray paint!

Trash to Treasure Makeover using Spray Paint!

Every now and again I’m reminded just how amazing paint can be!

Take this ramshackle collection of discarded “goodies”…

Spray Paint Project Before

Lovely, aren’t they?

Let’s face it, ordinarily you wouldn’t look twice at any of this, right?

The round board was the original top from the stool I hacked recently (it was just sitting in the shed gathering dust) and the other pieces were all found at the op shop for a grand total of $7.

Well, an hour or so and a few coats of spray paint later and you just might look twice!

Upcycled Thrift Store Finds using Spray Paint

Not bad, eh?

Amazing Transformation of Second-Hand Decor

This is such a quick, easy and affordable project anyone can have a go at. All I did was thoroughly clean each item, place them on a protected surface, then spray away. Around three light coats per item.

It really is that simple, though here are a few extra pointers for achieving great results…

TIPS

:: After cleaning using warm soapy water, wipe with isopropyl alcohol. This removes any trace of grime and creates a squeaky clean surface ready to accept the paint. I find it improves long term adhesion.

:: Place each item on a little pedestal which is narrower than the item itself (you can use anything – a scrap piece of wood, a spray can lid, a yogurt container). This makes it super easy to spray all around the piece.

:: If you can, use a rotating board (lazy susan). Again, it just makes it easier to spray the piece all over.

DIY Spray Paint Update

The board is coated in Dulux Duramax Granite Effect (in “Light”) which is basically stone-in-a-can. So cool!

The other pieces are all Dulux Duramax Chalky Finish (in “Vintage Charcoal”) with a hint of Dulux Duramax Metallic Finish (in “Rose Gold”).

No lie, I think the super matte look of the Chalky Finish makes it my most favourite spray paint ever!

Spray Paint Upcycle

I’ve painted glass and ceramic in the past and have found it holds up great. Of course, it’s not foolproof (as no paint is) and I wouldn’t suggest scrubbing it with a wire brush or anything, though treated with some care it should be totally fine. That said, if there are any mishaps touching-up the paint is a breeze!

Hope this simple upcycle helps inspire some of your own trash-to-treasure transformations!

Spray Painted Thrift Store Finds

If you’d like to save this project for later, feel free to pin the below image.

Thrift Store Spray Paint Upcycle

1. Julie Jumeaux says:

You never cease to inspire!

2. Deb - NC says:

Beautiful! I would never think spray paint would stick to glass and porcelain. How does it hold up?

• I’ve painted glass and ceramic several times in the past and it holds up great. This Chalk Finish paint even specifies glass as one of its suitable substrates. I’ll have to post an update in a few months :)

3. Simone says:

Lovely! I wonder what would be equivalent to this paint here in USA. Any idea?

• Hmmm, well you guys have lots of great products. I’m sure Rustoleum/Krylon would have similar offerings :)

4. Sara says:

Gorgeous. I’m wondering: how do they stand up to water and scratches in a bathroom environment?

• Spray paint is pretty amazing nowadays. As long as you clean thoroughly prior and apply light even coats it should wear incredibly well (I mean, I wouldn’t go scrubbing it with a wire brush or anything though it should happily withstand regular use). Of course, it’s not entirely foolproof though no paint is. I guess part of the beauty of spray paint is that it’s also super easy to touch-up.
      I sprayed the metal surround on my wardrobe doors years ago and they don’t have one single scratch!

5. Diane says:

This is an amazing transformation

6. Alessandra says:

You are simply amazing! I so so love them.

7. Marty Oravetz says:

This is amazing. I love it and wow, what a transformation.

8. Julie says:

Wow super cool redo!! I love every color choice. Just amazing that we can recycle things and make them so beautiful again. Love it.

9. Jana says:

Looks beautiful! I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint on glass (1 to 2 layers) and it sticks perfectly.

10. Lizz says:

That’s great

11. Denise derda says:

Holy guacamole girl! You could totally transform dollar stores mismatched bathroom accessories to look like this and even take yet another trip to the thrift stores for items. Super Wednesday inspirations- thanks a heap!

12. Pauline says:

A must on my diy list. LOL you win me over every time u sprayed that gorgeous super matte! Bet your fingers get cleaner with more experience?

• LOL! Thanks. Do your fingers always get covered in paint Pauline? I must admit, I’m a pretty messy painter ordinarily though don’t find spray paint too bad.

• Pauline says:

Were not mine but you had referred to yours after my compliment on that gorgeous lamp transformation, remember?

13. Karlene says:

Omg! That’s amazing! That flat black of chalk paint totally transforms the look of the pieces!! Aaaa+ on even thinking to do that!!!

14. Deb from Maryland says:

Cute, cute, cute! Will have to look closer at our US spray paints to see what is comparable. The thought of being able to custom color coordinate bathroom items (or ANYTHING for that matter) is enticing! Thanks. :)

• I’m sure Rustoleum/Krylon would have some comparable products for you Deb. It’s really exciting what can be achieved!

15. Kristine I was literally using matt black spray paint yesterday (although not the chalk variety)! I’m so into it – and I love how your bathroom accessories turned out. xx

• Thanks Kate. I love regular matte black too. I was expecting this to be similar though it’s got quite a different look. Much more graphite-like – which I LOVE!

16. Cindy says:

I always say you can change anything with paint. Super idea. Enjoy the rest of your week

Cindy

17. Kristine, I liked it a lot, shame that the one here in Brazil does not have this type of spray. But I already researched and a cousin who lives in Australia will send it to me.
    PS. sorry for mistranslated English
    kisses

• No need to apologise – your English is great. Yes, it’s always hard when different countries don’t carry comparable products. Glad you’ve worked it out though :)
      xoxo

18. Anna says:

I f’n love you Kristine you’re a legend!

19. Etta says:

You never fail to amaze me with your projects! And the best of all, it is so easy to find all the products! Off to Bunnings I go!

20. Jill says:

That’s awesome! I love spray paint but I always seem to have drip marks on mine.

• Oh no! Getting a nice even finish just takes a bit of patience (which is no fun for anybody!). Try not to be tempted to get full coverage with the first application. Rather build-up the finish with several light coats.

21. Brigette says:

Do you do anything special with the pump on the soap dispenser so that the paint wouldn’t jam it up? I absolutely love what you did!

• Nothing special Bridgette. Spray paint, when applied sparingly, is pretty super thin and most soap pumps should have some room to move. I will post an update on how everything is holding-up in a few months :)

• Brigette says:

Thank you!

22. Marie says:

This is definitely a DIY I will give a try. So cute. I’m afraid to ask for fear of disappointment, but I would love to know, where can I find that soap?

• Hi Marie
      I brought it from eBay. Search for “Savon de Marseille”.

23. kimithy says:

Oh wow, never would have thought of doing super-matte black for these, it looks fantastic!

24. Those look amazing! So simple, yet so effective :)

25. Brandy says:

Gorgeous! I just got some pottery barn tall chrome-y candlestick holders from the thrift shop two days ago. Can’t wait to spray paint them to match my upcycled lamp! Thanks for the tips and for the idea of the he chalky finish!

For my fellow Americans, looks like Krylon makes a similar product. http://www.krylon.com/products/chalky-finish-paint/

26. Revital Mitchell says:

I love it! I love Black Matte paint! instead of buying new accessories, I just repaint mine and give it an updated look. I love how yours came out!

• Yep. No matter how many times I spray paint crappy old stuff I’m still always amazed at how well it turns out. LOL! :)