Bird and Twig Nursery Mobile

When I woke this morning I noticed a soft golden glow creeping in from beyond my bedroom curtains and when I peered out the window saw the tree limbs dancing in the type of gentle breeze which makes you want to hang fresh white sheets on the clothes line. It was one of those mornings which reminds you of childhood holidays and made me think that Spring has finally sprung here in the lower Southern hemisphere – yay!

Just the motivation I need to finally shorten my looong ‘to do’ list – starting with the nursery of course! Though whilst it waits for some final touches before the full reveal I thought I’d share the latest addition – a sweet bird and twig mobile.

I knew from the beginning that I wanted to use twigs and timber birds and was inspired to add some filigree leaves when I came across these charming hand-carved songbirds on Etsy with this accompanying photograph of a mobile created by Hayley Duggan…

Along with the hand-carved birds I found a selection of affordable filigree leaves on Etsy too.

And I picked up two twigs from outside my back door (well, that’s putting it simply to be honest. It actually took me a good half hour to make my final selection. Being surrounded by gum trees I guess the choice was a little overwhelming!).

I decided to paint my birds musk pink. Before I attached them and the leaves to the twigs I used little round eye screws and fishing line to hang the twigs how I wanted them.

I did this first to determine their natural horizontal position (thus knowing where to place the birds so they were upright and the mobile stayed balanced). As an extra precaution I also tested the birds positions with blu-tac before I adhered them with hot-glue for good.
I know this may sound fussy (and, yes, I am fussy :-) though it was actually a real pain getting everything aligned properly. It all needed to be pretty precisely weighted and whilst I’m sure there is probably an easy way to do it, I sure as heck couldn’t figure it out! It just took trial-and-error and by the end I did almost grab the whole thing, screw it up in my hands and throw it in the air (almost).

To finish, I simply hot-glued on the filigree leaves in little sporadic clusters - thankfully that part was easy.

The completed mobile is really quite adorable (if I do say so myself!) and although I’m not a ‘pink’ person the little musk birds seem just perfect.

1. Kerry says:

OMG!! That is the sweetest mobile I have ever seen! I adore it. What great vision you have! Every Friday I do a round up of my favourite finds in blog land, and I’d love to include your mobile :)

2. how cute is that?!

3. aprilfrancom says:

Darling….I also love your curtains. Would you mind telling me where you purchased them? Thanks

4. Hi April. My curtains are from IKEA.

5. modern jane says:

This is so beautiful!

6. Deanne says:

this is so pretty, well done.
    We have a cold raining day here today, but had lovely sun yesterday.

7. Stellinha says:

this is soo sweet!

8. It’s whimsical and adorable!

9. NanaDiana says:

Kristine- That is just darling. I love the way you put it together…it is really sweet! xo Diana

10. Kai says:

It is beautiful!

11. This is adorable and I can’t believe you made it yourself!

12. Sarah says:

Wow, all that work was worth it! This is such a sweet little mobile!! Love those leaves. Can’t wait to see the rest of the room:)

13. Sarah B says:

It is absolutely adorable, you clever thing! I bet it would have been fiddly getting the balance right and I totally get the importance of choosing the right stick. I spend ages choosing sticks with the right shape for projects :)

14. Anonymous says:

I am glad you didn’t throw it and give up. This is really sweet – well done…

15. Sarah says:

That is so adorable and a bit different from what I’ve seen out there- love it!

16. Kek says:

There is WAY too much cuteness in that! I’ve been dying to get home so I could get a proper look at it (I hate trying to read blogs/view pics on my phone…)

I spy some nursery details in the background of these photos… Can’t wait for the reveal.

17. oh my! that is absolutely gorgeous! perfect addition to a nursery.
    Kate x

18. This is so cute it makes me want to have a baby to use one. Oh, wait. I’m too old for that! LOL — this is SO adorable — how creative and unique it is!

19. Kristine! Our little birds in your hands turned out so wonderfully happy and well done!!
    Great job!! Take more pictures of the nursery!
    Kay and Will

20. This is stunning. I so want to try! Beautiful!
    ~ Meredith From A Mother Seeking Come find me on my blog, A Mother Seeking…

21. BTW: JUST PINNED IT. So inspiring!
    ~ Meredith From A Mother Seeking Come find me on my blog, A Mother Seeking…

22. penny barns says:

Just so perfect for a bubba girl.
    i love your blog.
    penny-barns.blogspot.com

23. Linden says:

This is beautiful! I love how elegant and classic it is, but it’s still perfect for baby!

24. Carissa says:

love LOVE love this mobile. I love the organic look of the whole thing. You’ve been pinned AND I’m your newest follower. Thanks for sharing.

I found you through the Blue Cricket Design Link Party.

Carissa @ Carissa’s Creativity Space

25. Kristine — I’m madly in love with your mobile. Great job!

Jenny

26. Precious! Turned out beautiful!
    Anna

27. oh, i just love this! so adorable! xoox

28. Maureen says:

Oh my gosh this is BEAUTIFUL!!!
    This would make a great gift!
    Found you and your fabulous blog on Tip Junkie :)
    -Maureen

29. Sweet birdies! The project came out great. Laura Cottage and Broome

30. The Moerks says:

Gorgeous!

31. That is the sweetest mobile I have ever seen! I adore it. What great vision you have! Every Friday I do a round up of my favourite finds in blog land.

32. MommaHen says:

If I ever have a little girl , THIS is the mobile I am going to have!

33. I absolutely Love this!!! I wish I thought of it! I am going to make one for my baby girls room! Thanks for the inspiration. Including your link on my favorite links from around the web tomorrow!

34. That looks so sweet! Thanks for linking up at Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

35. Is really pretty! Ideal for the nursery… Modern, romantic and so sweetie…. Great inspiration! Congrats!

36. SOOO super cute! Great idea!

37. Sooo super cute! Great idea!

38. Doni says:

LOVE IT! Have been looking for something like this to make for our first grand baby boy’s nursery. Where did you find the wooden birds?

39. Krystal says:

Hi! So adorable!! Can you please tell me what size the leaves are? I have been looking on Etsy but they look so small…. thanks!

40. Hi Krystal. I hope you find my comment here as I couldn’t see another way to reply to you.
    I used three sizes of leaves: 32mm, 54mm and 65mm.
    Here is the link to the Etsy shop I bought them from: http://www.etsy.com/shop/halolo
    Hope this helps you. Please let me know if you make the mobile – I would love to hear about it and see some photos.
    xoxo

41. Hi Doni

Hope you find my reply here :-)

As mentioned in the post I bought the birds on Etsy. Here is the store URL:

xoxo

42. Hi Kristine,
    We want to thank you so much for putting up the link to our Supplies!
    The mobile you created has been a real hit on our site! You did the most beautiful job!! That room is so delightful!! We are going to put your picture of the mobile on our site and your blog address. We love your blog, your mind must be running 20 hours a day!!! Thanks again!!!
    Kay and Will

43. Alyce says:

Just found this mobile on Pinterest! WOW! I’m in love! What a talent you are! Thank you for so generously sharing how to do it. I’m a fan for life!!!
    Alyce Kennedy

44. nádya says:

Dear Krisitne, this birdie mobile is so, so cute, perfectly made!!!
    Blessings,
    Nadya

45. Hayley Duggan says:

Thank you for adding the photo of my mobile to the list of processes, I love to share my ideas.

Please feel free to email me:
    Hayley@elody.co.uk

46. Tracey says:

Hi Kristine,
    Could you please let me know if you used the silver or bronze filigree leaves from Halolo on Etsy?
    I’m not particularly creative, but with a little girl about to arrive into our family, I’m going to attempt to copy your nursery by making a few of your creations. You’re very inspiring.
    Many thanks in advance….

• The Painted Hive says:

Hi Tracey
      I used a combination of leaves, though it’s really hard to tell the difference once the mobile is up so you could use whichever you like :-)
      Thanks for your comment and good luck with the arrival of your little girl.

47. Rhonda says:

Loved the birds on twigs and am going to do something like it, had forgotten etsy. Makes me homesick for my beloved Melbourne but have stayed away too long and made a home in Perth however with your blog I can always bring Melbourne’s looks to Perth. Love your clean, warm and creative style. Soooooo Melbourne, Rhonda