Tolix Chairs for the Dining Room!

Have I mentioned my complex? The one about buying furniture brand new?

Seriously, I mean complex. The whole concept is just an enigma to me.
Don’t get me wrong though, I know second-hand is not always the best way to go though if I happen to spy you buying something so generic they sell one every five seconds on eBay for just fifty cents please forgive me for wrestling the credit card from your hand!

My sister does it all the time and it drives me nuts. Luckily she’s my sister so I’m allowed to wrestle her.

Anyhoo, I faced my fears last week and couldn’t be more pleased with the result….

Four brand new tolix replicas now grace my dining room, making perfect companions for my rustic farmhouse table.

With their low slung backs, sleek lines and robust gal finish not only are they beautiful, though as one of my readers pointed out, they are also perfectly child proof!

I did a fair amount of research to find a local supplier with the best price and ended up getting all four chairs for around $450 AUD. Not too bad.

The hammer hasn’t yet fallen on the eBay auction for my previous IKEA chairs though whatever they sell for I’m gonna mentally take it off the total price of the new chairs – it just makes me feel better.

So, here’s my dining room around this time last year…

And here it is today…

Last year…

Today…

Did you catch a few other new details in there too?

I’ve been tizzy-ing up a storm over here lately and will post further details soon.

In closing, as a self-confessed new-furniture-neurotic who’s not overly convinced that buying pre-loved can’t be applied in every instance, in this case I reckon brand new was the way to go.

And until the tolix replicas make their way onto the second-hand market it’s a heck of a lot cheaper (if not quite so prestigious) than forking out for the current pre-loved ones on offer (I’m not saying I wouldn’t love some gorgeous Xaviar Pauchard originals though!).

1. Lottie says:

I love your new chairs! I love the mix of industrial with the wood…perfect!

If only I had some round my dining room table!

2. They look amazing!!! I’m jealous!

3. Love the new look, but I also loved the old look. Great space!!

4. The chairs look fabulous! I love that they are kid proof too! The whole room looks really wonderful! I just bought a bit of a knock off Tolex for my sons room and I just love looking at it!

5. NanaDiana says:

Kristine! Wow! What a change. I like the industrial look paired with the table. Are they comfortable, too? xo Diana

6. Sarah says:

Love them! Your dining room is beautiful! Wonderful light! Makes me want to sit there with a cup of coffee…

7. Meg says:

Love the look of the whole dining space – causal, inviting and a little edgy! Well done!

8. judi says:

everything is coming together so beautifully! the chairs are great…love the industrial look with the wood table.
    i am so with you about buying something new. if i can’t re-purpose, make it myself or can’t find it anywhere else, then i ‘might’ consider buying it new. i had to laugh, my sister can’t see the value in vintage or old, but that’s ok, i have better taste. lol (just kiddin’)

love the light fixture…do tell where you found it!

judi

9. Deanne says:

They look great, love that industrial feel they give!

10. Sarah B says:

They look fantastic, in fact the whole space looks brilliant. I’m very impressed :)

11. Goodness gracious, Lady. This looks straight out of magazine. They are totally perfect. And yes, child proof!
    Camille

12. I love this room! The chairs are to die for!!!

13. I love it! I LOVE your style! Those chairs make such a difference!
    I’m your newest follower! :)

cinsarah.blogspot.com

14. Liz Marie says:

seriously the most beautiful dining room ever.. I love the height of the light! You are amazing.. and so inspiring!

liz marie
    lizmarieblog.com

15. Love these chairs! I love your style too. I joined as your newest follower:) Visiting from Transformation Thursday. Carrie

16. after perusing your blog, i’m your newest follower! love your fresh, clean style–esp the addition of these chairs! yum!

off to read about your daughter’s room..

amy

17. Bling-ba-bling-bling! Those chairs sparkle like silvery coins in the shallow pools of a stream! SOOO love it!

18. You are on a roll!! Your nursery reveal was amazing and now your dining room refresh is gorgeous!

19. Kameleon says:

The tolix chairs looks really pretty in your dinning room.

20. I love your new look dining room. The chairs are great with the table.

21. It looks fantastic – such a lift!
    Love a touch of contemporary industrial with rustic & traditional. Works really well. Happy happy!

x Charlotta
    Space for Inspiration

22. Shannon says:

LOVE those chairs!!!! What a fab mix in your dining room. Btw, imagine my grin when in my mailbox this morning was YOUR chair post AND Kevin & Layla’s (The Lettered Cottage) post about the same style of chair in their dining room!!!!
    xo,
    Shannon

23. I love them!! I’m so jealous. I’ve been looking for some modern chairs to go with my farmhouse kitchen table!! I’m pinning these AND gonna go follow you!

Come visit me sometime at 52mantels.com!

24. Love the new chairs and how they add a rustic but modern feel!!

25. OK… I’m in LOVE! Your dining room looks like it came straight out of a magazine!

26. stefanie says:

love!!!! it!!!

27. SHERRY HART says:

Love em…that DR is singing a great tune now….

28. Love your style, love the chairs, love your blog! I’m your newest follower too. Maybe you can com epay me a visit and show me some love too! :)
    Cheers,
    Megan

29. Sabrina says:

I have four red industrial chairs just like these that I bought new for $75 apiece. I SNATCHED them up. The store was out of stock in days. I got lucky. Love them!

• westfurniturerevival says:

HI SABRINA, WHAT STORE DID YOU FIND YOURS IN FOR 75

30. Oh wowza. love, love, love. The lighting is awesome and I’m loving to mix of bronze and silver right now! And those chairs are EXTREMEMLY kid-proof! :-)

31. This comment has been removed by the author.

32. Oh! Those chairs have been on my want list for awhile. Must hunt harder.

33. I put this on my FB page…The Lettered Cottage just posted about these chairs, too. It looks great! Thanks for linking to Thrifty Thursday!

34. LOVE LOVE LOVE! Looks amazing. I am swooning over that light fixture too!

Jenny

35. Holly Austin says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!

36. Maggie says:

I luv how you mix the different styles together.
    Would luv for my readers to see this awesome idea, will you please join our weekly party at
    have a great crafting weekend!
    Maggie

37. Vicky says:

I’ve never seen chairs like that. They totally change the look of the room. Love the farmhouse look you have going. I am a new follower from Passionately Artistic. Vicky from Mess For Less

38. yay! we have tolix chairs too! we have never regretted the purchase either. they look great in your dining room.

39. Pinecone says:

Looks so good – love!!!!
    xo Ashlyn

40. Anonymous says:

Love how the chairs updated the whole vibe. Nice!

41. Doreen Grace says:

Wonderful new, retro modern look!

42. Hi Kristine, LOVE LOVE LOVE your new dining room chairs! love the rustic & modern! I’m your newest follower :-)

43. Love the chairs…they would be perfect at my dining table. these are on my bucket list.

44. Absolutely gorgeous! The whole thing! Just gorgeous! I would love if you would share this at the Crazy Cute link party happening at Between U & Me right now! I’ve got a totally awesome giveaway this week, too!
    OOH! AND, I’m your newest follower! ;)

45. your dinning room is stunning! such a great transformation!

46. Love! I have an antique round pedestal that needs chairs. It’s tiger oak. Do you think these chairs would look good with it or are they meant for of the farmhouse look like you have?

47. Amanda S says:

Where about were the chairs actually purchased? Would love to know. I couldn’t see in your blog if you mentioned it.

48. Amanda
    I got them at wholesale price from Sokol in Fairfield (http://www.sokol.com.au/). They are available lots of places now. Try eBay too.

49. Fiaz says:

I found some great repro vintage ones on http://www.cultfurniture.com

Have them in a range of colours as well and pretty cheap too.

• The Painted Hive says:

Thanks for the link.
      It seems like a great option for my UK readers.
      Kristine :-)

50. Monika says:

I love the way the chairs look. It updated the room so much! I think a rug underneath would help soften the area. Something like jute or sisal would be nice underneath! Home Decorators usually has a good assortment and a variety of colors to choose from.

• I love jute and sisal rugs though with two little kids having one beneath our dining table just isn’t practical at the mo’. Maybe in the future.