The New Furniture for the FREE Dining Room!

I’ve found stuff!

This pendant light on eBay for $72…

Budget Friendly Gold Pendant Light

I knew I wanted something modern and gold and somewhat impactful and this seemed to fit the bill. Let’s hope it also fits the space!

On Gumtree I came across a set of four Windsor style chairs for $40 (listing states $50 however the price was negotiable)…

Windsor Style Chairs from Gumtree

So glad I bought these to remind myself just how much “fun” stripping chairs back to raw can be. They’re not exactly what I wanted though will do just fine. I think the dated two-tone stain must have been putting buyers off because I’ve seen similar sets sell for lots more. I’m not totally sure yet however am thinking about a natural ashy stain with a blue-grey dipped effect. We’ll see.

Also on Gumtree I found this round dining table for only $1…

Gumtree Dining Table

I know it’s not the prettiest specimen though I just need the top. Am planning on stripping it back to raw then refinishing it to coordinate with the chairs.

In addition I’ve made a table base using a $7 length of merch grade pine…

DIY Table Base

I totally surprised myself by knocking it up, all alone, in one afternoon. Obviously it still needs to be finished. I’m thinking simple white paint for a light, fresh feel and to contrast with my sister’s wooden floor.

Note: I haven’t created a tutorial for the table base because, well, I was just making things up as I went along! Be sure to let me know in the comments if you’d like to see one.

Remember, I have a grand total of $200 for this room makeover based on how much I was able to sell the original furniture for. As things stand I’ve spent $120. This leaves me $80 for a few DIY supplies, decor pieces and possibly some wall art. I think I may actually come in under budget!

Catch up on my previous posts about this room makeover HERE.

1. Revital Mitchell says:

I love the light fixture!

• Oh yay! I got a rather blunt email from someone who thought it was “the worst light ever”. LOL! Each to their own.

• Robyn says:

So you don’t like it? Fine, it’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. But why, oh why, the need….the intense determination….to share that with the person whose opinion is clearly different to yours?

• Robyn says:

PS. I can’t wait to see how it all comes together. I’ll bet the light will be one of the stars of the show.

• Thanks so much Robyn. I hope so. Have been having my doubts about this space!

2. Elisabeth says:

Clever girl with the table base. Did you use pocket holes for the top and base timber? Or joinery?? It looks great!

3. Gill says:

Nice light- but do leave a tutorial on the table base please. Tnx.

4. Penny L Bolton says:

Good Morning!
    I would like to see your tutorial on how to build the base for your dining room table.

Thank you!

5. Candy says:

I think you are amazing!!!!

6. Rachel Diamond says:

Yes, please for a tutorial on the dining room table!!!

7. kristin howard says:

I would love to see directions for that table base. Nice score with all your finds.

8. Tanya Joel says:

You really are an inspiration!

• Aw, thanks, though I haven’t done anything yet! Let’s hope it comes together :)

9. Love the light! Can’t wait to see what you do with the chairs. xx

• Thanks Kate. You’re a bit more positive than the person who emailed me and stated nothing more than “that is the worst light ever”. LOL!

10. Etta says:

Tutorial please Kristine! I would like to see how you strip down the chairs, do you use paint stripper or just sanding? You are a serious bargain hunter!

• Thanks Etta. I will work on a table base tutorial. I was hoping I could simply sand the chairs back (sometimes old varnish flakes off really easily) though it was too stubborn. I’ve finished two chairs so far which involved two coats of stripper (I use a wire brush and metal scourer to scrub it off) then finishing with a palm sander. It’s not fun!

• Etta says:

Thank you Kristine! I am going to copy your Tribal Batik Re-Love makeover on an old chest and this info will come in handy.

11. Cheryl says:

Can’t wait to see what you do with the table top & chairs. Your sister is a very lucky girl !

12. Lara says:

Please post a tutorial! Love it

13. Mel says:

Loving it. I hope you come under budget and hand your sister change take a pic of that 😂 great finds. I’m thinking of investing in a soda blaster strips paint easy no sanding check out super cheap auto. Looking forward to the reveal

• A soda blaster would be awesome! After I started on one chair and realised it wasn’t going to be easy I briefly looked into getting them chemically dipped or professionally sand blasted – I was that desperate! Of course, my budget can’t extend that far for this makeover but it was tempting!

14. Sara says:

Oh please, won’t you be my sister? You are absolutely amazing… I’m still in awe of the whole house you did.

15. Deb from Maryland says:

Great finds! I was worried for you when I saw the chairs – stains are such a pain in the arse to sand out. Hang in there!

• Am seriously considering buying a soda blaster to use with my air compressor! Can’t hurt to give it a go.

16. Olivia says:

Yes to the tutorial, especially how you will attach the top without any nails showing. Thanks and just so you know, I LOVE everything you do… keep up the great work!

17. Karen says:

Fantastic when you finished if your feeling lost you could help me with my office I normally have have some ideas but I’m clueless with this 😂 Only been thinking about it for 2+ years

18. Susan Owens says:

I’m big fan of home DIY and home makeover. It’s interesting and creative. Waiting for your guide on the table base. Love it!

19. Robyn says:

I love that table base so much. You are incredibly creative and I am so envious of your ease with seriously scary electric tools.
    You’ve inspired me to do a makeover of a well used, solid timber desk I picked up for $40. It’s a very (very) long time since I’ve done this big a DIY job but I’m going to give it my best shot! I might be needing one of those soda blasters too. *rushes to google soda blaster*

• Ha, ha. Go for it! And let me know how it turns out!
      I was so desperate after my hours of fruitless stripping and sanding I actually went and bought a soda blaster (I already have a really good compressor so only needed the gun – it was around $50). So disappointed when it didn’t really work on my chairs. Tried it on a few different items and it did well on some of them. Just seems the varnish on my chairs is far too gummy.

20. Thanks for sharing useful information… Here is one of the Best Interior Designer. Earn Daily Unlimited Paytm Cash By Self Earning Application App Link : shorturl.at/bfmwQ. Thank you so much for letting us know this one.Thank you so much for letting us know this one. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site. Its a awasome information.

21. wizzer says:

Brava! Can’t wait for your tutorial on the table base..

• Thanks. Hoping to get onto that next week. It’s a bit tricky because I can’t really transport a 5 meter length of pine with my little Corolla :) Need to borrow my husband’s 4X though he’s always at work!

22. Hi Kristine,
    Thanks a lot for sharing such an informative article about furniture for dinning room. I have read your valuable page and gotten much information and now my confused has cleared. I will buy some furniture for my dinning room on next month.