DIY Over-Size Book Page Quote Art…with free printables!

Large Scale Book Quote Art FREE Printables!

UPDATE
You can now purchase your very own CUSTOM quote art sign here.

I’m so excited to finally share this project with you guys!

I started dreaming-up this DIY and designing these free printables almost two years ago (yes, you read right, two years ago) after I published this post about my little DIY quote art sign.

Don’t ask me why it’s taken me sooooo long to finally get the project and printables done. Seriously, don’t ask me. I honestly have no decent answer :)

Anyhoo, I got there in the end, right? And I’m loving the way everything turned out.

I was inspired by some of the large farmhouse style book page quote signs I had seen on Pinterest…

Large-Scale Book Page Art

Fable & Flame | Unknown

Some Googling around revealed that this style of wall art isn’t exactly cheap. Like around $400 not cheap. Yikes! Surely I could do a bit better than that.

All up this project cost me about $40 though you could easily do it for under $10 if you’re feeling extra thrifty. I’ve included some savvy tips and tricks in the info below.

Dotted-Break

PRINTING THE ARTWORK

There are heaps of places which offer printing services. If you’re not certain where to start looking, check out your local office supplies store or have a Google around for “print and copy services”. I’ve also seen some super affordable printing services being offered through eBay. You can visit a store in person or use an online upload interface. I personally prefer the ease and convenience of uploading my artwork online then having my print delivered directly to my door. This is maybe because my nearest print store isn’t exactly near-by.

For ease, I’ve designed these printables to fit within standard large poster frames (60cm x 90cm/24″ x 36″) however you may reduce or enlarge the size within reason to suit your particular needs (be aware that excessive re-sizing can result in a poor quality print).

You should be able to find a service which will print a full colour, large poster-sized print on decent paper for around $15 – $40. I used the Officeworks Colour Poster printing service. If you’re interested in making this project even more budget friendly, you could opt for a black and white engineering/plan print on bond paper for as little as $2 (you could then add some colour with a tea-stain, or similar). Alternatively, you could have it printed at premium quality onto a specialty material, such as canvas, for anywhere from $50 – $150. The options are almost endless.

For further printing information refer to my Free Printables series.

FRAMING THE ARTWORK

As mentioned above, to make things super easy for you guys, I’ve designed these printables to fit perfectly within standard large (60cm x 90cm/24″ x 36″) poster frames. If you’re unsure where to find large poster frames, check out your local dollar and discount department stores, do a quick Google search or head into Ikea – they have a few to choose from.

Of course, you can always DIY your own farmhouse style custom frame if you’d prefer (refer to my tutorial here – you simply need to up the scale and choose your desired framing wood), or use a thrifted frame as long as the aspect-ratio is compatible. You could also simply top-and-tail the print itself with some dowels and add a cute twine hanger to make a simple wall chart.

For the purpose of this blog post, I framed my printable in a standard large poster frame I found for $15 at a local discount variety store.

Poster Frame Before

The faux wood frame was a little too perfect for my liking so I decided to attempt a farmhouse style makeover. I distressed it to make it look like reclaimed wood (I simply scratched it up with a serrated knife and banged it with some nails before lightly sanding it – similar to what I did here) then I stained it a warm brown.

Distressed Farmhouse Sign Frame

I wasn’t sure how the laminate would respond to being distressed and stained though it actually worked really, really well!

For an authentic ‘sign’ look, I also removed the glass and affixed my print directly to the backing board using spray adhesive.

Dotted-Break

I’m offering eight printables in total; four different quotes in both sepia and chalkboard. As mentioned above, these are high resolution, large-scale images.

I chose these quotes because they’re a little bit unusual and something about them just spoke to me. I especially love the ‘Cherokee Legend’ which is the first one I designed.

Free Printable Book Page Quote Sign

Have you heard this one before? It’s so evocative.

Anyhoo, grab your free printables below. There are two separate files; one for the sepia images, and one for the chalkboard images.

Free Printable Book Page Quote Page Art

Free Download Sepia Book Quote Art Free Download Chalkboard Book Quote Art

I know it can be disheartening when budget restraints push the items you love out of reach, so if you’ve been coveting these lovely farmhouse style signs I hope my free offerings give you a little “squeee” moment and help make your walls beautiful.

UPDATE
As a budget-focused decorator and blogger, conjuring and sharing ways to “get the look for less” is something I relish. This project was no exception.
Originally, it was my belief that these artworks were merely part of the prevailing typography sign trend; mass-designed, mass-produced and mass-distributed. I have since learned the concept for these designs originated with a small business.
As such, although this style of quote art is now everywhere, I will not be offering any further bulk free printables in this exact style.
That said, I do plan to design and share further quote art of my very own (you can browse my other free printables here) and will continue to offer one-off custom book page signs as requested.

As always, if you have trouble or are unsure of anything, feel free to ask.

Oh, and I just wanted to let you know that the photos in this post are of my actual finished sign. I was looking at them and the artwork almost appears to be super-imposed. Believe me, it’s truly ruly real!

Free for personal non-commercial use only.

Click the below image to see and download my latest round of dictionary inspired free printable quote art signs!

18 Large-Scale FREE Printable Quote Signs!

1. Katie C says:

Are these still available for download? Please say yes!!! I’m dying over these and really want the sepia ones. I’d never pay $400 for it though! It’s so awesome you create these for your readers, however, I’m having a difficult time trying to download (could be because I’m on my daughters ipad). Would you please email them to me? I’d be forever grateful!! Thank you!!!

• Hi Katie
      So sorry, though I can’t email them. The files are too large! The download is working fine for me. I would suggest trying a computer or laptop. If you still have trouble, let me know and I’ll try to help.

• Katie C says:

Thank you!! I’ll attempt first thing in the morning (it’s midnight here). I appreciate your generosity!!

2. Diane says:

Your work is stunning ! One of my favorite quotes: (and I’m sorry do not know author)
    For this is life
    To love, to live
    To take what fate
    Or God may give
    To meet life’s ebb
    As you greet its flow
    To have, to hold
    And in time let go.

3. Pauline says:

Needless to say, another loving creation! I love your timeless way of décor. A pronounced soothing.effect every time.

Over my headboard, my ‘print is in my own calligraphy on a chalkboard old closet door., saved in extremis after a bedroom makeover.
    In any case, thank God we are alive and of the stars——–unto all eternity.
    Amen! Henry Miller

4. Lisa says:

Hi, yea I have adobe flash installed

• Okay, well I believe Flash is designed for displaying multi-media content so may not be what you need. How do you normally view PDF files on your Mac?
      I don’t use a Mac though I imagine if you simply save the file to your desktop you can then just unzip it and open the individual items using whichever PDF viewer you normally use.
      Let me know how you go. I’m sure we can get this to work.

5. Lindsey says:

Hi, I am also trying to download them to a flash drive to print and its saving them as a webpage?? When I open the file, its all jumbled letters and numbers – almost like a computer code.

• Hi Lindsey
      Sorry for the late reply. Not entirely sure, though guessing this might have something to do with the fact the files are zipped? Have you had any luck getting it to work? If not, perhaps try downloading and unzipping the file first.

• Hi Lindsey
      Have you had any luck getting them to work? I just realised that if they are downloading as a web page for you, you may not be hitting the right download button/s. What exactly are you doing/pressing to download them?

6. Elizabeth says:

Kristine,
    These are fantastic! Your rustic touch in their creation works perfectly.
    Thank you for sharing ……. I’m doing this…….your pictures are inspiring.
    Looking forward to more!
    Thanks, Elizabeth

7. Mary says:

Hi! This is so lovely and I have had 3 family quotes that I’d love to create. Could I ask what you’d charge if I can’t figure it out myself? It’s sad you had to take that section out as I’m sure anyone could tell you were sharing an awesome idea and certainly not intentionally copying from a small business. It’s a shame they probably asked you to stop and tweak it. Anyway, would love to find out more!

8. Melissa says:

Hello, quick question. I have google drive on my iPad but it will NOT open the file. Does it have to be done on a desktop computer? Thanks for all you do.

• Hi Melissa
      It should work on an iPad if you have enough memory/storage space. What exactly are you doing/seeing?
      Cheers

• Melissa says:

It opens in google drive and when I tap on it, it’s a black screen that says unable to open file. Under that it says, Try opening file in another app. However, nothing works.
        Thanks.

• Melissa says:

Oh, I do indeed have plenty of storage. I still have 18 GB available.

• Are you able to get the file to download? If so, you will need to unzip it then open the individual files with whatever PDF viewer you normally use.

• Okay, when you say “tap on it” do you mean the download button in Google Drive? I’m on a PC and I don’t have an iPad so I’m not sure how the interface looks. I just tried the download button in Google Drive and it downloaded right away for me.

• How did you go Melissa? Have you been able to access them yet?

9. Wenona says:

These are amazing!!!!!! I’m in love!!!!! It will become my next project. Thank you for sharing!!!

10. Janet says:

I ran across this post last night and fell in love with the prints! I immediately downloaded them to my computer and uploaded them to Office Depot for 20.00. I picked them up this evening and stopped by Michaels to see what they had in poster frames. As soon as I walked in the door they had a display of them for 18.00. (50% off)They even look a bit distressed! I brought everything home and they are already hanging up!! The only thing I forgot was the spray adhesive, so I’ll get that tomorrow, I think they will look better without the pexi-glass. Thank you so much!! I am just crazy thrilled with them and it was all so easy and inexpensive! Thank you again!

11. Gwynn Sterken says:

Why do the quotes always start with “He” said? Why not “She” said sometimes? Or it was said…

• Well, no real reason, these four quotes are merely the ones I chose this time around.

12. Lora says:

When I go to have them printed, it says that the resolution is to low. Do you know how I would fix that ? Thanks in advance

• Hi Lora
      Something weird is definitely going on if you’re getting a message like that. These are premium quality printables created and saved at 300 PPI and I know many of my readers have already printed them. Can you share a bit more about how you are downloading, saving and attempting to print them? I’ll try my best to help.

13. Jenny says:

Great job – love them all!

14. Faith says:

Hey Kristine!

I love all these printables! but is there anyway I could change the layout to fit horizontally over my bed?

Thank you!

• Hi Faith
      Sorry, though all of these ones are in portrait orientation and there is no way to edit the downloadable files. I’ll be offering some different quotes in the coming weeks and will be sure to include some landscape oriented ones.

15. Amy McConnell says:

LOVE this ! my daughter and I are trying to get the Walt Whitman one printed today, but when we download it then save it as a Jpeg to print it the word “sample” is across it :( how do I save it so that it doesn’t say Sample on it?
    Thanks SO much!!
    Amy

• Hi Amy
      Hmmm, I have no idea. I imagine this has something to do with the program you are using to convert it from a PDF. Have you managed to work it out?

16. Shawna says:

Thank you for these free printables!! Love these!!

17. Renee says:

Thank you so much for sharing these. Love them!

18. Sherri says:

I can’t seem to download the quotes. It comes up in code….any suggestions?

• Kristine says:

Hi Sherri. So, I assume you have downloaded the files to your computer/laptop though when you try to view them they appear as code? They are PDF files saved in a zipped folder. You need to extract the individual files then view them with whatever PDF viewer you normally use. If you still have trouble let me know.

19. Love these!!! Thanks so much.

20. Sean Khao says:

I absolutely love these! Thank you so much for sharing! There are a few other quotes I would love to print and put in my son’s room. Would you ever consider sharing the photoshop files with the text layers so that I can just edit the text and print?

• Hi Sean
      My original intention was to share the editable PSD file I created though I have since had to repeal after discovering the source for this particular style of artwork (refer to the note at the beginning of my post for more info). I will be releasing a new set of large-scale quote art printables in a similar format in the next week or two and may share the PSD for that.
      So sorry I can’t help in this case.

21. Sarah says:

Can you recommend somewhere where I can get frames like that online? I am in the US… and having trouble finding unfinished frames. I want one that I can stain and distress myself. Thank you! :)

• Kristine says:

Hi Sarah. Well, my frame wasn’t unfinished. As mentioned in the post, it was actually faux woodgrain laminate. However, once I distressed and stained it, it actually looked like old reclaimed wood! You can start with any pale coloured frame (even a cheap plastic-y one like mine).

22. Sandra Brown says:

How do you print these at such large sizes? Obviously not with your at home printer.

• Kristine says:

Hi Sandra. There’s a section in the post titled “Printing the Artwork” which details what I did and includes a link to a previous post of mine which offers further info. You need to engage the services of a print company though it’s cheap and easy.

23. Elise says:

Hello! These are gorgeous!! How kind of you to share them!! I was wondering why your Dr. Suess quote started with “he said..” After a google search I read that the quote was from someone else, is Suess quoting that man when he says “he said” ? I super love that one and want to make sure I understand it before I hang it on my wall, haha! Thank you!

24. Amy Heatherly says:

Thank you so much for this! The Cherokee quote is one of my favs. I have it on my bulletin board in the kitchen, but yours is SO much nicer!! Thanks again!!

25. Brittany says:

Love this idea!
    What type of paper did you decide to get these printed on to achieve the look? Or suggest? I see there are options for satin/ or gloss photo paper or a heavy 55 lb bond paper from an Office Depot.

Thanks!

• Hi Brittany
      I used 160 gsm (equivalent to 55 lb) Bond paper. Satin would also be fine though I would avoid Gloss (you want the print to have a matte sign-like finish, not a shiny photo finish). I imagine the Bond paper is cheaper than the Satin so I would just go with that if I was you :)

26. Akloppy says:

These are so fun and beautiful! Did you know that Geisel is spelled wrong? 🤔

• LOL, yes. I think I was staring at them for too long in the end…all of the letters got jumbled in my brain! Oh well.

27. Kelli Kain says:

Can I ask you what font you used in these?! I just love them.

• Sure Kelli. It’s “1820 Modern” which is a premium font though you can find similar free ones if you search for “Fells Type” fonts.

28. Brenda says:

Kristine, you have the best readers of your blog. I am loving reading through the comments and discovering so many fabulous quotations. Thank you also for your generous download. I’m thinking of printing one for my grandson’s room.

My favorite quotation is this:

No wind serves him who has no destined port.

– Montaigne

29. Katie says:

While I understand your desire to support small businesses (trust me, I think they’re great), there are some people who can’t afford the small business prices! I like nice things but my social worker budget can’t afford my taste, lol. So, I love when I come across someone like you who is able to offer things like this! I wish you would have kept going!

30. Haley says:

Hi,
    I love these! Would you be willing to make a customized book quote for a fee? I have a favourite I would love to put up in my house.

Thank you!

31. Marie says:

Hi Kristine !

Is it possible to know which font you used to make these artworks ?
    I would love to make mine, with my favorite quote…

Thanks a lot :)

• Sure Marie. It’s “1820 Modern” which is a premium (paid) font though you can find similar free ones if you search for “Fells Type” fonts.

• Marie says:

Thank you so much !!!!

32. Tracey says:

Hi Kristine, love your site. You are very clever and talented. I am trying to order this online from an online printing store (the Cherokee quote which is amazing)…anyhow, I am having trouble finding a shop that has different types of paper other than regular poster paper, which I don’t think would be appropriate. What type of paper do you suggest? Do you have any recommendations for printing services in the states that would have the type of paper you recommend?

• Hi Tracey
      I just used the regular poster paper offered by the printing company I went through. It was 160gsm coated (in a matte finish). I think 160gsm converts to around 100lb. Coated just means that it’s been treated with a surface film which makes it smoother and slightly less porous than regular bond paper. Generally, coated paper is available in a few different finishes; matte, satin or glass.
      Do you know the weight (thickness) of the paper the print company is offering? And whether it’s coated or bond? To be honest, I don’t think it should make a huge difference for this project as long as it has some weight to it and isn’t overly glossy.
      I can’t access the Office Depot website at the moment though I just checked Staples and they offer a Super Heavyweight for $35.99 or a Standard Heavyweight for $29.99. Had a look at Fed Ex and they only seem to offer a 46lb matte option.
      Hope this helps a bit.

33. Gabby says:

Oh I love these!! I am ordering the Cherokee one through Staples here in California. What finish would you recommend? Photo Gloss? Photo Semi-Gloss? Standard heavyweight? I love these so much and can’t wait to display it in my home. You are amazing!! Thank you for sharing your talent.

• Gabby says:

I just saw the post above mine! Sorry! ;) That reply works for me.

• Thanks Gabby. Yes, as these are supposed to look like signs, not photos, opt for a matte or satin. Not sure how glossy the semi-gloss is? Might be an option too.
        Cheers
        x

34. Love these! Thanks! Printing the cherokee legend for my home! Bless your heart!

35. Beth Orr says:

I am curious to know if you have run into any copyright issues at the printers. Seems to me they might not be willing to print them… Just curious, because I love the way these look, and my daughter is thinking about a storybook themed nursery, which would be a perfect fit for this art!

• Hi Beth
      I have not experienced any issues. These printables have been fully designed by me and the inclusion of the quotes should be covered by the Fair Use Rule.

36. Lauren blinka says:

Okay I need help. I want to do this type of sign but I want the poem The Man in the Glass. Can you help me?

37. jac says:

thank you for the seuss quote. my mom passed away in december and i never cherished the time with her as i should have….now it’s memories. i’m going to put it up in my redone guest room :)

• Sorry for your loss Jac. Glad the sign will help remind you :)

38. Andrea says:

You do not understand how happy this makes me. I am hugging you through the internet hahaha. I have been coveting those exact prints for years but unable to afford the price tag. Can’t wait to put this in my dining room at an affordable cost. Now all I have to decide is WHICH ONE?!? Thank you so much!! @thehllw

• Ha, ha. Thanks for the virtual cuddle! So glad you love them :)

39. AG says:

Hello! Do you sell these by chance?

• Hi Ann. I don’t sell the finished signs (logistically tricky as they’re so large – especially as I’m in Australia and many of my blog readers are overseas) however I can create custom digital files if you’re after something specific. Kristine.

40. Yana Johns says:

How would I print out a quote that I want to be that big in size? Are you able to make that? That would look exactly like these pictures? I need suggestions please.

• Hi Yana
      As per my previous response, feel free to email me directly and we can discuss further :)

• Yana says:

I didn’t get a previous response. Where do I find it?

• It was in reply to the initial comment you left on the dictionary style quote art post. You can email me directly (thepaintedhive@gmail.com) and we can discuss things further.
          Cheers

41. Judy says:

Would you mind sharing the stain color? I love that shade

42. G Rayburn says:

“Hope is the thing with feathers —
    That perches in the soul —
    And sings the tune without the words —
    And never stops at all…”

Emily Dickenson

43. Kelsey Martin says:

Love these! Thank you for sharing! Can I ask what font you used? It’s great! Thanks again.

• Thanks Kelsey. It’s 1820 Modern which is a premium (paid for) font though you can find similar free ones if you search for “fells type fonts”.

44. Brooke says:

Love these! With your permission, I’d like to do this as a project in my DIY art studio.

• Hi Brooke
      Thanks so much – I’m flattered!
      Just checked out your studio and adore the concept. I have designed these signs strictly for personal, non-commercial use though I love the idea of spreading the love. Basically, I want as many people as possible to find joy in the things I create and share.
      Can you please provide some further info about how they would be used and credited? Feel free to email me: thepaintedhive@gmail.com.
      Best
      x

45. Kristi Celata says:

My favorite quote:

We are all mortal until the first kiss and the second glass of wine. -Eduardo Galeano

Wouldn’t that look GREAT framed on a wall??!

• Ooh, I LOVE that one!

• Hi Kristi

Not sure if you saw, though I have included your suggested quote in my most recent round of free printables. You can find it here.

Thanks so much. I hope you like it :)

46. Jennifer says:

I absolutely LOVE these!!!! I am so thankful to you for putting these out there for those of us on a budget that love to decorate with inspiration!! Thank you Kristine!!

47. Peg says:

I just discovered this through a Pinterest post. I just love your signs and quotes! Here is my favorite one. I am a pediatric home visiting nurse and this quote helped me so much when I was just starting out. I felt like I didn’t know where to begin in helping families with very medically involved babies at home. I was at a Kinkos one day about 25 years ago and lifted up the cover of the copy machine to put my page in and someone had left their paper with this quote printed really large on the printer glass. It was as if it was left there for me! “The greatest good we can do others is not to share our riches but to reveal theirs.” – anonymous.
    Since then I have found that it is attributed to a British politician named Benjamin Disraeli.

Most people have what they need inside of them, they just need support and care during a crisis to help find it. Quotes say so much with so few words! Thanks so much for sharing.

48. Rachael says:

I really wish I were this talented!

Would you consider making a Ralph Waldo Emerson one? I named my son after him and I think it would be so perfect to have one of these in his playroom!

• Hi Rachael
      Do you have any favourites? I hope to release some more later this month though can’t guarantee what will be included. You can always order a custom one here.

49. Alicia says:

Just wondering what font these are done in.

Love these!

• Thanks Alicia. It’s 1820 Modern which is a premium (paid for) font though you can find similar free ones if you search for “fells type fonts”.

50. Jennifer Nichole Bradley says:

I love these I have just found you and have subscribed I run a free donation group on FB helping our community members one at a time to bring up our community back to what it was when I was a young girl. Anyways my favorite quote is by Amelia Earhart it’s the heart of our founding and namesake it speaks volumes to me and I hope to you because it represents you well from what I have seen so far.

No kind action ever stops with itself. One kind action leads to another. Good example is followed. A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees. The greatest work that kindness does to others is that it makes them kind themselves.

Thank you for your beautiful blog and sharing your talent with the world

Jennifer Nichole Bradley
    Florida

• Aw, that’s a sweet one. Thanks so much sharing and for your kind comments about my blog. Am hoping to share another round of these free printables at the end of July :)