The Flip House | Living Room Reveal

Coffee Table Styling

So, I know you guys already know this but…I have the best readers in the whole wide world!

Thank you all so much for the lovely comments on my previous reveal posts. You have honestly floored me with your kindness. I was actually worried some people might feel the need to jump on and leave critical feedback purely to puncture my presumably over-inflated ego – LOL!

Anyhoo, I’ve been hanging out to share this space because it’s possibly my favourite in the entire house.

Here’s how the living room looked at the beginning of the flip…

Before

Before

Before

And here it is now…

Living Room After

Sideboard

Living Room After

You can find side-by-side before and after images toward the end of the post.

This room was a bit of an evolution.

I started with the sofa, which came with the house (originally in the sitting room). Although it wasn’t the style or colour I would have chosen it was simple and neutral enough to work with.

Next came the sideboard which I found for $80 on Gumtree. I must admit, at first I wasn’t sure about this piece. I was getting desperate and it was the right scale and price so I jumped on it. It wasn’t until I got it in the house that I realised just how perfect it was!

Sideboard

Of course, I needed some armchairs to accompany the sofa, and a nice big rug to warm the space up, help anchor everything together and somewhat conceal the floor tiles.

Ordinarily I would make do with cheap second-hand items, however in this case I was lucky to be gifted some gorgeous products from Early Settler. It was an offer too good to refuse! Whilst they aren’t pieces I would normally purchase to stage a prudent flip house (remember, I am super stingy – LOL), for my own home I wouldn’t hesitate, and I know many of you will love them!

The stunning rug is possibly my most favourite thing ever! The photos really don’t do it justice.

Coffee Table Styling

And how cool are the woven armchairs?

Flip House Living Room

They’re sophisticated yet casual and give the room a lovely unique feel.

With the timber of the sideboard and wicker of the armchairs, I felt that introducing more wood or cane could be a bit much so set about trying to find a metal coffee table. I was about to give up and try making my own when I came across this one on Marketplace for just $40.

Living Room After

It’s simple and contemporary and just right.

When you walk in the front door, you can see the side of the sofa at the end of the hallway.

Entry After

Given it’s quite dark, big and blocky I added this basic gold side table (which I found on clearance at Early Settler) to help break it up a bit.

Living Room After

It can be tempting to scatter decor all over the place, though I left the top of it clear to avoid creating a cluttered feel.

For me, one of the most impactful elements in the space is the gorgeous floor lamp.

Floor Lamp

Whilst it’s not overly bold or showy, it has a gentle sculptural presence which adds interest and provides a needed modern edge. Plus the black and gold works perfectly to tie the room together. Without it, things just wouldn’t feel quite so well resolved and stylish. Don’t you think?

To freshen things up, and also link-in with the sitting room, I added a selection of white cushions. They are all filled with feather inserts we already owned and have been sewn by mum using a combination of inexpensive fabrics and tea towels – yep, tea towels make great cushion covers!

Grid Cushion

I’m not normally a grid person though something about the understated simplicity of this pattern just seemed so right in here!

And, of course, you can never go past a fine pinstripe.

Pinstripe Cushion

Initially I wanted to hang an over-size moody artwork above the sideboard. As awesome as that would have been, due to time and budget restraints I ended-up using this large gridded mirror we already owned.

Sideboard

It normally hangs in my parent’s breakfast nook (you may remember it from this previous post) and was a $5 Op Shop find from several years back which I added the trim to.

Sideboard Vignette

It’s super heavy so to avoid hanging it I’ve merely rested it against the wall which also works to lend things a nice relaxed feel. I absolutely love it in here and am thinking it may work even better than an artwork would have.

My original plan was to keep the decor super minimal, however as I began adding things it just started feeling better and better! I still exercised restraint, so it’s far from cluttered, though it has a layered warmth which helps it look collected and genuinely homey.

Vignette

Coffee Table Styling

We already owned most of the decor, and the vast majority has been thrifted, so you really don’t need to spend much when ‘dressing’ a room.

Sideboard Vignette

Grid Cushion Covers | DIY using Tea Towels from H&M | $6 each

Gold Cushion Cover | Already Owned (originally from H&M) | $0

Feather Cushion Inserts | Already Owned | $0

Brass Planter | Ashika Plant Holder (Medium) from Early Settler | $31*

Decor | Already Owned | $0

TOTAL $197

*We were super lucky to be gifted some items from Early Settler.
I’ve provided their costs however they are excluded from the total.

Before

Living Room After

Before

Living Room After

Before

Living Room Makeover

Hope you guys like this space as much as I do.

Will be back soon to share the dining room!

Find all of the previous flip house posts HERE.

Flip House Living Room

1. Mary Elena Warns says:

The first time you shared the sofa in the new environs, I refused to believe it was the same one! What a difference you’ve made!

2. Sara says:

Epic… Really incredible!!

3. Denise says:

Girl – you’re just getting better with each room.
    The rug is gorgeous but the standout piece for me is that mirror. I’m really hoping that you took photos whilst you were doing it cause I’d love to see that post………..
    Looking forward to seeing the rest of the house💖

• Thanks Denise.
      So sorry, I don’t have a tutorial for the mirror. It was done several years ago. Was pretty easy. Just a matter of cutting some timber trim to size, gluing it on, filling any joins, then painting it :)

4. Marianne says:

I love the simplicity, yet elegance of your space. What is your wall color, I love it.

• Thanks so much. Sorry, not sure of the wall colour as it was existing in the house.

5. Pat from New Jersey USA says:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! Ga Morning! I loved the sideboard when you first showed it, but had no idea how you would make it work. It looks amazing and love the pane mirror on top. I’m a hard wood floor girl and am not crazy about the tile flooring. The way you’ve stage the rooms I don’t really notice them that much. And I want to sit in the awesome wicker chairs! Your hard work has paid off with another great room.

6. Leslie Wood says:

It’s BEAUTIFUL!! What a stunning transformation Kristine! I love all these pieces – and the way that you’ve created this defined, beautiful space.

7. Jaye says:

What a gift you have to transform that house the way you have. I love your “raw” wood pieces in each room. Such a nice look.

• Magda says:

Stunning! Incredible transformation…The furniture pieces embrace each other so well! They talk to each other. I think the queen is the mirror …and then the sideboard, but then the chairs, the natural position of the fern, the freshness, the happy feeling the whole assembly inspire!
      I take so much delight in looking! Thank you

8. Diana says:

Once again you have worked a miracle. It looks wonderful.

9. Amy says:

Looks FAB!!!!

10. Vicki Whiting says:

So very very clever! Well done.

11. 1960s girl says:

Wow, what a beautiful room! What saddens me is the fact that a lot of houses are cluttered like the living room/dining room in the before picture. I could not live in a cluttered place.
    The sideboard and the rug look great! Everything does, as a matter of fact.

12. Marm says:

Job well done!

13. kahlie says:

So So Beautiful! You have so much talent.

14. Patricia says:

I wonder if you will miss this home you have so beautifully flipped even though it wasn’t your own. You have put so much time, energy and talent into it, that it will be like letting a little piece of yourself go. Wonderful job, Kristine!

15. Sabrina says:

I can’t wait to see the patio Ms. Miracle Worker :).

• LOL! Please don’t hold your breath! We were out of time and money when it came to doing something with the deck and backyard. It’s been tidied-up and semi-staged though isn’t anything spectacular.

16. Lizelle says:

Stunned, once again!! It truly is beautiful!

17. Olivia says:

The sidebar and mirror anchor the room. The room looks so much better without a TV stuck in the corner. The windows look good with no treatment. If you lived in the house would you need blinds or curtains? Looks so good how it is but just wondered if it would work. You have done a really nice job decorating the flip house. I have enjoyed every blog about the home.

• Thanks so much.
      In terms of privacy there’s no real need for window treatments in this space however the new owners may want something to help with light and climate. I’ve left it up to them :)

18. Brette says:

Before looks like the Salvation Army Thrift Store. After looks like House Beautiful.

19. Tina says:

Wow, what a transformation! I love the light, open feel to the room. And the chairs are the BOMB!!! I love them. Living in Atlanta, GA, USA, I’m not familiar with Early Settler, but I just did a quick recon of their website and they’ve got some nice things. I have one question…since you’re doing a staging for a property sale, what happens to the items that you’ve purchased for the stage? I know a lot of the items belong to you/family, but the new purchases (like the chairs), where do they go? I’m thinking that you should be able to keep them for all of the hard work you’ve put into this project. JMHO!!! I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of the space. Great job!

• Thanks Tina. Yes, all of the furniture and decor belongs to me (well, aside from the items I’ve borrowed from family and friends). Am still debating what will happen to it because obviously I can’t fit it all in my little home! Was thinking of negotiating with the buyers (if they want any of it, that is) or having a garage sale. Not sure yet.

• Tina says:

‘Too bad for me that I live so far away, because I’d definitely find space for those chairs. It would be great if the new owners wanted the décor. I’m thinking a garage sale won’t give you the worth for the nice things you have. Marketplace may provide a better selling option. Anyway, I enjoy your posts, I really like your style. Keep up the good work!

20. sheryl says:

I just love your style, I call it simple elegance. I have to say my house looks a bit like the before, you have given me such inspiration to update my house. I just looked at the last 3 post so beautiful! You really have an eye for color and beauty. Thank You for sharing the post, it’s so exciting to see bit by bit.

21. Karel Brumfield says:

Those chairs look amazing! Are they comfortable? The space is so bright and cheery…great job!

• Good question. I haven’t even sat in one yet! Will have to test them out next time I’m at the house. They do look very laid back and relaxing.

22. Vikki says:

i staggered by the difference in the Before and After pictures. I’m lovin’ those armchairs!! I think the mirror was an excellent idea–it reflects so much light into the room. Good job!!

23. ilona sugarman says:

Absolutely, positively FABULOUS!!!! Bravo!

24. Cynthia says:

This is just GORGEOUS! You NEVER disappoint! So CREATIVE! Oh how I want you secure your services!

25. Karen says:

Very nice work me that like all the different styles of the textures as well as the coloring

26. Rachel Norrod says:

Wow.

27. Lee Hynes says:

$197 You are a miracle worker! Bravo!Beautiful!

28. Cheryl says:

Beautiful Kristine! I love the way you pull a room together. One question. Window treatments. You took down the verticals but didn’t put anything else up?

• Thanks Cheryl.
      Yep, the pink verticals were clearly doing nothing for the aesthetic of the space so we simply removed them. There’s no real privacy issue in this room however the new owners may want to install new window dressings for climate control and light filtering/blocking reasons. I could have put simple rollers in though I decided to save my pennies and leave it up to the buyers.

29. Arlene Gregoire says:

Beautiful. And what a difference when. you declutter and keep the flow of accents and colours consistent room to room. The room is full of light yet is not sterile. You are an inspiration! I look forward to all of your future posts.

30. Anna says:

Amazing improvement given you didn’t change the wall colour and honestly, vertical blinds should be against the law! Love your work as you know x

31. Alix Davis says:

Boom! Another hit! Great work!

32. Jody says:

Beautiful! Love that the wicker chairs have arms. The rug is gorgeous. My question: If you lived in this house and wanted some “window privacy” what would you suggest on those large windows?

• Thanks Jody.

I think this comes down to personal preference. I love the practicality and simplicity of block-out roller blinds, possibly with dummy drapes to add another layer of softness and texture, and maybe even pattern if that’s your thing. Because rollers can be inset mounted they are almost like nothing when they are open, and very unobtrusive when they are closed.

Romans are also great, as are day-night romans or rollers. S-fold sheers are currently really popular and could work in here too though at night they don’t provide any privacy so would need something like a roller behind them.

They would be my first choices :)

33. Julie says:

I’ll simply borrow adjectives from previous comments……stunning, beautiful, miraculous, elegant, inspirational, gorgeous, creative and more. Best blog in the blogosphere!

34. Lisa says:

You rocked it!! ;)

35. R Lutz says:

You are so gifted! I am a budget decorator and love getting a high-end look for next to nothing. You have elevated this bland space into something stellar! Hope it sells quickly!